Police Service: Staff Support Associations

House of Lords written question – answered on 4th February 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Stoddart of Swindon Lord Stoddart of Swindon Independent Labour

asked Her Majesty's Government:

Whether the Gay Police Association and the Black Police Association are officially recognised by the Metropolitan Police and other police forces in the United Kingdom; whether they have any negotiating rights of representation; and, if so, whether the same recognition and rights would be extended to other police associations seeking to promote interests involving race, colour, sexual preference or particular lifestyles.

Photo of Baroness Scotland of Asthal Baroness Scotland of Asthal Minister of State, Home Office, Minister of State (Home Office) (Criminal Justice and Offender Management)

None of the staff support associations, including the Black Police Association and the Gay Police Association, is formally recognised by the Metropolitan Police Service for collective bargaining purposes; nor do they have the representational or negotiating rights of the Police Federation, Superintendents' Association or the recognised constituent trade unions. The staff support associations are however consulted regarding policy changes, particularly with regard to diversity issues.

The Government have a shared interest in working collaboratively with these and other staff associations, including the British Association for Women in Policing. They are represented on a number of Home Office groups and are consulted on a wide range of policy initiatives to improve diversity in the workplace and to ensure effective delivery of policing services to all communities. The National Black Police Association, for example, is represented on the Lawrence Steering Group, contributing to diversity issues and providing a vital perspective on the link between communities and police.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.