The available information on the number of court fines and fixed penalties issued within the police force area of Essex for the offence of 'speeding detected by camera' for 1997–01 is shown in the table. It is not possible from the data collected centrally to identify Southend.
Information for 2002 will be available in the Spring.
|Fixed penalties||Court proceedings|
|Offenceand year||Number of tickets(46)||Estimated revenue(47) (£)||Number of fines||Total amount of fine (£)||Average fine(48) (£)|
(44) Automatic cameras until 1998, all camera types from 1999.
(45) Offences under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and The Motor Vehicles (Speed Limits on Motorways) Regulations 1973.
(46) Paid i.e. no further action.
(47) Estimate based on £40 fixed penalty charge to October 2000. From November 2000 the penalty was raised to £60.
(48) Includes cases where fixed penalty notices were originally issued but not paid and subsequently referred to court.