pursuant to his answer,
Due to an administrative error the figures for Sri Lanka were not the most current figures available. The corrected version of the answer is in the table.
The table shows the available data, for outcomes of initial decisions relating to asylum applications (principal applicants) for nationals of Sri Lanka in 2000, 2001, 2002 and from January to September 2003. Grants of exceptional leave to remain and of discretionary leave may be followed by review of individuals' cases and do not necessarily result in permanent settlement.
|Sri Lanka||Totaldecisions||Grants of asylum||Grants of Exceptional Leave to Remain||Grants of Humanitarian Protection||Grants of Discretionary Leave||Totalrefusals(25)||Grants of Exceptional Leave to Remain under backlog criteria(26) , (27)||Non compliance refusals under backlog criteria(26) , (28)|
|January to September 2003(30)||1,265||20||55||—||35||1,155||n/a||n/a|
n/a = not applicable
(23) Provisional figures rounded to nearest 5.
(24) Information is of initial determination decisions, excluding the outcome of appeals or other subsequent decisions.
(25) May include some refusals under non compliance grounds.
(26) Cases decided under pragmatic measures aimed at reducing the pre 1996 asylum backlog.
(27) May include a small number of cases where asylum has been granted.
(28) May include a small number of cases where the application has been refused on substantive grounds.
(29) Revised figures
(30) Provisional figures.
The table shows the available data, for outcomes of appeals relating to refused asylum applications (principal applicants) for nationals of Sri Lanka in 2000, 2001, 2002 and from January to September 2003. Allowed appeals may result in grants of asylum, grants of humanitarian protection or grants of discretionary leave, or in appeals to the IAT by the Secretary of State, and do not necessarily result in permanent settlement.
|Appeals determined by adjudicators(32)|
|Total||Total||As percentage of Determined||Total||As percentage of Determined||Total||As percentage of Determined|
|January to September 2003||4,710||580||12||4,015||85||110||2|
(31) Provisional figures rounded to nearest 5 (except percentages) with '*' = 1 or 2. Figures may not add up due to independent rounding.
(32) Figures include cases withdrawn by the Home Office, as well as the appellant.
Information on asylum applications and decisions is published quarterly. The next publication will be available on the