Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

National Poisons Information Service: Clinical Advice

House of Lords written question – answered on 19th November 2003.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of The Countess of Mar The Countess of Mar Crossbench

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What was the information on which the clinical advice on lindane poisoning provided by the National Poisons Information Service was based in August 2000; and what were the sources of that information; and

Whether they will conduct a review of the clinical advice given by the National Poisons Information Service for agrochemical and pesticide poisoning with an analysis of both agrochemical industry and independent (non-industry funded) scientific and medical research on which that advice is based.

Photo of Lord Warner Lord Warner Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department of Health, Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Health)

The National Poisons Information Services (NPIS) provides information on the management of acute poisoning to health professionals. Such advice is available by telephone or the NPIS clinical database TOXBASE (available free to National Health Service professionals online). The basis of the information provided is an expert professional review of the published literature (both clinical and non-clinical experimental data) using expert clinical toxicological judgement. All TOXBASE entries written since 1999 have been peer-reviewed by all NPIS centres. Advice on the management of lindane poisoning followed this approach.

There are currently no plans for a general review of the clinical advice given previously and any such review would only be considered if justified by the emergence of significant new relevant information.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.