Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Health Professions Council

House of Lords written question – answered on 16th July 2003.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Baroness Finlay of Llandaff Baroness Finlay of Llandaff Crossbench

asked Her Majesty's Government:

Whether they will enable new United Kingdom graduates who have been unable to register with the Health Professions Council while the register has been closed from 27 June to 9 July to have immediate registration to allow them to take up employment as registered professionals after 9 July.

Photo of Lord Warner Lord Warner Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department of Health, Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Health)

In the interests of public protection it is necessary for all applications for registration to be properly processed. All applications for Health Professions Council (HPC) registration are assessed on an individual basis and judged on their merits.

The HPC will open its new register on 9 July 2003 following the closure of the Council for Professions Supplementary to Medicine system to UK applicants on 27 June 2003. However, new application forms for the HPC register have been available and directly downloadable from the HPC's website since 2 July 2003. This minimal period of closure of 12 days (7 working days) is to allow time for the essential administrative task of effecting the transfer from the old register, which has been operating for the past 33 years, to the new HPC register.

The HPC has endeavoured to minimise disruption to the services and will continue to process all applications in a timely and efficient manner so that there will be no unreasonable delay. Where possible the HPC informed all potential stakeholders of the situation in advance of the closure of the old system.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.