Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Recorded Crime

Home Department written question – answered on 16th May 2002.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrew Turner Andrew Turner Conservative, Isle of Wight

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, pursuant to his answer of 7 May 2002, Ref. 52335, whether before 1 April, the police had discretion to record a reported crime; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of John Denham John Denham Minister (Home Office) (Police and Crime Reduction)

The rules regarding re-classification of a recorded crime were the same prior to 1 April 2002 as they are now. Re-classification is not usually permitted. The rules state that a recorded crime cannot be re-classified unless it is re-classified to a homicide (murder, manslaughter or infanticide).

Once a crime has been recorded it can only be classified as a 'no crime' if one of the following criteria is satisfied:

(i) The crime was committed outside the jurisdiction of the police force in which it was recorded.

(ii) Where, following the report of an incident which has subsequently been recorded as a crime, credible evidence comes to light, which determines that no crime has been committed.

(iii) If the crime, as alleged, constitutes part of a crime already recorded.

(iv) If the reported incident was recorded as a crime in error.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.