Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


Health written question – answered on 16th May 2002.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Evan Harris Evan Harris Liberal Democrat, Oxford West and Abingdon

To ask the Secretary of State for Health how many patients have been treated by the NHS for alcohol-related illness in (a) England and (b) each region in each of the last five years.

Photo of Hazel Blears Hazel Blears Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Health)

The number of admissions for alcohol- related illnesses in England and the regions are shown in the table.

Admissions for alcohol-related disorders (ICD10 codes F10, K70, T51) by regional office of treatment, NHS hospitals, England 1996–97 to 2000–01
Regional office Number
Northern and Yorkshire 7,286
Trent 3,860
Anglia and Oxford 2,712
North Thames 4,561
South Thames 5,437
South and West 4,594
West Midlands 5,519
North-west 8,697
Total 42,665
Northern and Yorkshire 7,234
Trent 4,707
Anglia and Oxford 3,025
North Thames 5,516
South Thames 6,240
South and West 4,742
West Midlands 5,710
North-west 8,547
Not known 7
Total 45,727
Northern and Yorkshire 7,023
Trent 4,263
Anglia and Oxford 2,916
North Thames 5,394
South Thames 5,842
South and West 4,918
West Midlands 5,160
North-west 7,813
Total 43,329
Northern and Yorkshire 7,006
Trent 4,134
West Midlands 5,200
North-west 8,100
Eastern 3,110
London 7,666
South-east 5,433
South-west 3,764
Total 44,412
Northern and Yorkshire 6,413
Trent 3,850
West Midlands 4,671
North-west 7,810
Eastern 2,812
London 5,358
South-east 4,918
South-west 3,268
Total 39,100


Data in this table are adjusted for both coverage and unknown/invalid clinical data, except for 2000–01 which are not yet adjusted for shortfalls.


Hospital Episode Statistics (HES), Department of Health

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.