Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Police Pay

Home Department written question – answered on 16th May 2002.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Owen Paterson Owen Paterson Conservative, North Shropshire

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department

(1) how the funding will be provided for the £500 to £5,000 annual payment to police officers at the sharp end;

(2) how the funding will be provided for the proposed payment of £400 to all police officers and the £1,000 payment for police officers at the top of their pay scales.

Photo of John Denham John Denham Minister (Home Office) (Police and Crime Reduction)

holding answer 9 April 2002

On 9 May 2002, the Police Negotiating Board (PNB) agreed a package of reforms to police pay and conditions of service.

The package includes an increase of £402 on top of the basic salary for all the federated ranks from 1 April, 2003. Officers at the top of the federated ranks' pay scales will be eligible for a new competence-related payment of £1,002 a year. There will also be a new special priority payment scheme under which those at the sharp end of policing may qualify for one-off payments of normally between £500 to £3,000, exceptionally up to £5,000.

The payment depends on appropriate additional resources being provided to police.

The new pay and conditions package agreed on 9 May 2002 will provide a modernised pay structure rewarding those at the sharp end and reducing reliance on overtime. In so doing, it both underpins the rest of the police reform programme and demonstrates the Government's commitment to invest in the police service to achieve the reforms needed and to give it the support and flexibility it requires to deliver a first-class service to the public.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.