asked Her Majesty's Government:
In the National Health Service at the end of fiscal years 1996–97 and 2001–02, what was the number, actual or estimated, of (a) all employees; (b) doctors; (c) nurses; (d) other medical staff; (e) ancillary staff; and (f) other designated groups.
Workforce information is collected annually on
Between September 1997 and September 2001 the number of consultants increased by 4,320 (20 per cent) and the number of nurses by 31,520 (10 per cent).
|Total excluding GP retainers(1)||1,056,500||1,058,690||1,117,840||1,166,020|
|All doctors excluding retainers||86,580||89,620||96,320||99,170|
|of which hospital medical consultants||19,220||20,200||23,040||24,400|
|of which hospital medical registrar group||10,840||11,360||12,160||12,650|
|Other doctors in training||18,640||19,550||20,270||20,690|
|of which hospital medical doctors in training||16,990||17,920||18,690||19,070|
|Hospital practitioners and clinical assistants(2)||6,740||6,610||5,620||5,360|
|Other hospital medical staff||3,330||3,780||5,860||6,360|
|Other medical and dental staff||3,820||3,620||2,900||2,530|
|GMPs excluding retainers||29,120||29,390||30,250||30,680|
|Unrestricted principals and equivalents||26,860||27,100||27,700||27,840|
|GP retainers||. .||. .||1,120||1,150|
|HCHS qualified nurses||301,250||300,470||316,750||330,540|
|Qualified scientific, therapeutic and technical staff||94,320||96,300||105,910||110,240|
|of which: qualified Allied Health Professionals(5)||43,910||45,020||49,360||51,320|
|HCHS unqualified nursing staff(6)||137,630||140,940||153,590||163,190|
|Unqualified scientific, therapeutic and technical staff||24,330||24,340||26,590||28,810|
|Management and support staff(7)||315,010||306,970||316,410||329,750|
|Practice staff other than nurses(8)||79,480||81,660||83,070||84,470|
(1) Figures for GP retainers were first collected in 1999. They are excluded from this total so that figures are comparable across years.
(2) Most of these doctors also work as GPs. To avoid double counting, medical hospital practitioners and medical clinical assistants are not included in the All Doctors total.
(4) Practice nurse headcount information was estimated in 1991, 1992, 1993, 1998 and 1999. Underlying figures for 2000 suggest the practice nurse figure may be an overestimate.
(5) Allied Health Professionals are qualified staff from chiropody, dietetics, occupational therapy, orthoptics/optics, physiotherapy, radiography and art/music/drama therapy occupational codes.
(6) Includes Healthcare Assistants and learners (but excludes nurses in training).
(7) Includes ambulance staff, administrative & estates staff, support and other staff.
(8) Includes Direct Patient Care, Admin & Clerical and Other.
Figures are rounded to the nearest 10.
Due to rounding totals may not equal the sum of component parts.
. . Not applicable.
Department of Health Non-Medical Workforce Census.
Department of Health Medical and Dental Workforce Census.
Department of Health General and Personal Medical Services Statistics.