Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Ministerial Accommodation

Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs written question – answered on 13th May 2002.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Nigel Evans Nigel Evans Shadow Secretary of State for Wales

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what publicly owned accommodation is made available to him in his official role; how many nights he has been in residence at each of these properties in the last 12 months; and what the total cost was of maintaining each of these properties in the last 12 months.

Photo of Jack Straw Jack Straw Foreign Secretary

holding answer 9 May. 2002

The official London residence of the Foreign Secretary is at 1 Carlton Gardens. I use the day rooms on the ground and first floors for meetings, receptions and entertaining. There is a self-contained residential apartment on the upper floor, which I have never occupied. This was occupied by my right hon. Friend Mr. Cook when he was Foreign Secretary, and continues to be occupied by him, as President of the Council. As Foreign Secretary he was 35 nights in residence between 1 April 2001 and 7 June 2001. Total maintenance costs during this period were £2,790.68. From 8 June 2001 the costs of the residential apartment are to be met by the Privy Council Office. I do have both official and private use of Chevening House, Sevenoaks. This is owned by a private trust.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.