Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Teachers' Pay

Education and Skills written question – answered on 1st May 2002.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chris Grayling Chris Grayling Conservative, Epsom and Ewell

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills what cost of living allowances will be paid, over and above basic salaries, to teachers in (a) Surrey and (b) London in this financial year.

Photo of Stephen Timms Stephen Timms Minister of State (Education and Skills) (Schools)

Teachers working in inner London, outer London and the London fringe areas are paid mandatory London allowances at the following values:

Inner London: £3,105

Outer London: £2,043

Fringe: £792.

Teachers working at schools in inner London, and the outer London boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Brent, Ealing, Haringey, Merton, and Newham receive the inner London allowance. Teachers working in all other outer London boroughs receive the outer London allowance. Teachers in all areas of Surrey outside the metropolitan area receive the fringe allowance.

In addition, schools may pay recruitment and retention allowances to individual teachers of up to £5,262 per annum.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.