Sustainable Development

Environment Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 30th April 2002.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Malcolm Bruce Malcolm Bruce Liberal Democrat, Gordon

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what steps the Government (a) has taken and (b) plans to take to co-operate with developing countries on developing policies and processes for combating poverty and promoting sustainable development.

Photo of Clare Short Clare Short Secretary of State, Department for International Development

I have been asked to reply.

The Government are committed to working in partnership with developing countries with large numbers of poor people to tackle poverty and promote sustainable development. It is essential that developing countries lead the process of reform and poverty reduction. My Department is seeking to focus the efforts of all international development agencies on supporting the development and implementation of nationally owned and led poverty reduction strategies.

My Department also continues to work internationally to promote a more favourable environment for sustainable poverty reduction in developing countries. At both the World Trade Organisation Conference in Doha and the UN Financing for Development Conference in Monterey, agreement was reached on the nature of the partnership between developed and developing countries. Developing countries have committed to actions on good governance and the creation of a domestic enabling environment. Developed countries have committed to support these efforts with action on aid volume, aid effectiveness, building capacity, investment and competition. We are contributing to preparations for the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg in August to help ensure better understanding of the links between poverty reduction and globalisation, and more effective management of environmental resources.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.