Army Pensions

Defence written question – answered on 7th November 2001.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of John Greenway John Greenway Conservative, Ryedale

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if he will make a statement on the compensation he proposes to pay to (a) Army pensioners, (b) Army widows and (c) estates which have wrongly had income tax deducted by his Department from their invalidity pensions.

Photo of Dr Lewis Moonie Dr Lewis Moonie Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Ministry of Defence, Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Ministry of Defence) (Veterans)

Individuals wrongly taxed receive a refund of tax and an extra amount as compensation for the delay. The Inland Revenue calls this additional payment a repayment supplement. The Income Corporation Taxes Act 1988 (Section 824) governs the way the Inland Revenue calculates the repayment supplement. The precise formula is set out in Statutory Instrument No 1297 of 1989.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.