Central Heating

– Scottish Parliament written question – answered on 19th January 2009.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alasdair Allan Alasdair Allan Scottish National Party

Question S3W-19556

To ask the Scottish Executive how much fuel it takes to heat a typical semi-detached house with (a) gas central heating and (b) non-white meter electric heating in (i) Braemar, (ii) Stornoway, (iii) Aberdeen, (iv) Edinburgh, (v) Dundee and (vi) Glasgow and what information it has on how this compares with the amount that it takes to heat a similar house in Bristol, using data contained in the climatic severity index.

Photo of Stewart Maxwell Stewart Maxwell Scottish National Party

The fuel used (in kilowatt hours) to heat a "typical" semi-detached house with gas central heating and with non-white meter electric heating in those locations is shown in table 1:

Table 1: The Fuel Used (Kwh) Across Scotland to Heat a Semi-Detached House with Gas Central Heating and Non-White Meter Electric Heating and how this Compares to Bristol

CCCCCC" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
Location Postcode Gas Central Heating Electric Room Heaters Gas Central Heating Electric Room Heaters
Energy (Kwh) % more than Bristol
Braemar AB35 5YL 16,100 9,800 65.2 66.8
Stornoway HS1 2RN 15,800 9,500 61.8 62.1
Aberdeen AB11 5QP 15,300 9,200 56.4 57.3
Edinburgh EH15 1LF 12,100 7,300 23.9 24.2
Dundee DD2 4PF 12,600 7,600 29.3 29.9
Glasgow G3 6HB 11,700 7,000 19.7 19.9
Bristol BS8 1HP 9,800 5,900 - -

Source: Scottish House Condition Survey.

These estimates are based on National Home Energy ratings (NHER) calculation methods. They do not use the Climatic Severity Index as this is not currently produced by the Scottish House Condition Survey (SHCS). However the NHER method takes into account Degree Day Region, Average Wind Speed and Elevation.

As this information is taken from a sample survey the estimates are subject to a degree of uncertainty.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.