Care of Elderly People

– Scottish Parliament written question – answered on 19th July 2007.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alasdair Allan Alasdair Allan Scottish National Party

Question S3W-1796

To ask the Scottish Executive whether, when determining questions of property deprivation for the purposes of calculating the cost of personal care, it will disregard property in cases where a home has been made over to a family member who has to live in a tied house due to their employment conditions and who has no other home in the event of their employment terminating.

Photo of Shona Robison Shona Robison Scottish National Party

Local authorities take no account of property or any other assets in determining free personal care payments to people aged 65 or over whom they assess as needing residential care.

The National Assistance (Assessment of Resources) Regulations 1992 provide the framework for local authorities to charge for care that they provide or arrange in residential care homes. The Scottish Executive provides local authorities with guidance on charging. It is for the local authority to decide in each case whether or not to disregard the value of a property in assessing the resident’s contribution towards the cost of residential care, having regard to the guidance on the deprivation of capital and treatment of property. The regulations and the guidance include circumstances in which property must be disregarded.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.