To ask the Scottish Executive what the numbers and overall percentages in employment were in Stirling in (a) construction, (b) manufacturing, (c) retail and catering, (d) distribution, hotels and restaurants, (e) business and financial services, (f) transport and communications, (g) finance, IT and other business activities, (h) public administration, education and health and (i) tourism and other services in each of the last three years.
Table 1 shows the number of employee jobs in Stirling by standard industry sector for the last three years for which figures are available.
Table 1: Employee Jobs by Industry Sector – Stirling
|Levels||Proportion of Total|
|Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles, motorcycles and personal and household goods||8,500||8,700||7,700||20.72%||20.34%||17.28%|
|Hotels and restaurants||3,100||3,700||4,000||7.49%||8.74%||8.86%|
|Real estate, renting and business activities||3,800||4,500||5,600||9.40%||10.43%||12.58%|
|Transport, storage and communication||1,500||1,400||1,400||3.70%||3.24%||3.19%|
|Public administration and defence; compulsory social security||2,800||3,800||4,400||6.87%||8.93%||9.91%|
|Health and social work||5,700||5,200||5,700||14.02%||12.25%||12.62%|
Source: Annual Business Inquiry.
1. Catering sector is included in H: hotels and restaurants.
2. Distribution sector is included in I: transport, storage and communications.
3. Finance, IT and other business activities are included in J: financial services and K: Real estate, renting and business activities
4. Other includes A: agriculture, hunting and forestry; B: fishing; C: mining and quarrying; E: electricity, gas and water supply and O: other community, social and personal service activities.
5. The figures for construction will be underestimated due to the high level of self employment in this industry and that the self employed are excluded from the Annual Business Inquiry.
6. 2002 figures are based on SIC 1992 codes and 2003-04 figures are based on SIC 2003 codes. This may lead to a discontinuity in levels.
7. Figures have been rounded to the nearest hundred.
8. The total may not equal the sum of the individual components due to rounding.