Housing Benefits

– Scottish Parliament written question – answered on 12th March 2007.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jackie Baillie Jackie Baillie Labour

Question S2W-32210

To ask the Scottish Executive whether a local authority is able to deduct alleged community charge arrears from housing benefit payments without recourse to the individual concerned and, if so, what legislation applies in such circumstances.

Photo of George Lyon George Lyon Liberal Democrat

Although benefits is a reserved matter, I understand that a local authority is not permitted to deduct community charge arrears from housing benefit payments. The only debts that can be recovered from on-going payments of housing benefit are housing benefit overpayments.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.