Drug Misuse

– Scottish Parliament written question – answered on 21st January 2003.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mary Scanlon Mary Scanlon Conservative

Question S1W-33064

To ask the Scottish Executive how drug treatment for individuals is accessed and how families affected by a person with a drug habit can access appropriate support and advice.

Photo of Hugh Henry Hugh Henry Labour

There are many different approaches to treating drug misusers, and a wide range of statutory, non-statutory and voluntary organisations are involved in the provision of services. Thus, there are several routes through which drug misusers can receive treatment. For example, GPs will refer patients to specialist drug treatment services, as will other agencies such as Social Work Departments who encounter clients with drug misuse problems. Some specialist drugs services will also accept self-referrals from patients.

A range of services support families of drug misusers, including GPs and other health workers, drug agencies, Social Work Departments, carer and family support organisations, and community-based projects.

It is certainly important that drug misusers and their families are aware of where help, advice and treatment are available. Drug Action Teams already provide such information, but the point is re-inforced (including practical advice) in the Effective Interventions Unit’s (EIU) report on the provision of integrated care for drug misusers, which has been given wide distribution. Another EIU report on Families and Carers of Drug Users lists a broad range of agencies which provide support and advice, either in relation to the needs of the family, or in assisting families to support drug misusers.

In addition, there is a free Know the Score Directory which includes national organisations, Drug Action Teams, and local/community services. The directory can be obtained via the free Know the Score Informationline and it is also available on the Know the Score website.

We have allocated £180,000, from recovered criminal assets, to family support groups which deal with the problems which drug misuse can bring. We are working with these groups to determine the optimum way to distribute these resources.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.