– Scottish Parliament written question – answered on 31st August 1999.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Shona Robison Shona Robison Scottish National Party

Question S1W-909

To ask the Scottish Executive what financial provision exists to assist higher and further education students who become ill during their studies.

Photo of Henry McLeish Henry McLeish Labour

To be eligible for financial support higher education students must be attending a course. Students who are temporarily absent due to illness can continue to receive support until they have been absent for 28 weeks. At that point, a sick student becomes eligible for sickness benefit. A student who withdraws from his or her course, for whatever reason, is ineligible to receive assistance through the student support system and becomes subject to the arrangements under benefits system.

Many further education students receive financial support from the bursary award scheme but there is no specific provision for students absent due to illness. Students experiencing particular financial difficulties can apply for assistance to the Access Fund operated by the Colleges. Generally there are no financial repercussions for short-term absences but, since bursaries are discretionary awards, each case is judged on its own merits. Where a student is on long-term sick leave the college will advise the student whether he or she should continue the course. If the student withdraws, the bursary is stopped and, if unemployed, the student reverts back to the benefits system for support.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.