Results 1–20 of 619 for speaker:Dawn Butler

Finance (No. 2) Bill (11 Dec 2017)

Dawn Butler: Besides my being offended by the use of the term “miracle”, which does not describe anything that the hon. Lady has described, I want to say that many businesses are not investing due to Brexit. Are zero-hours contracts included in her “miracle”?

Women in the House of Commons — [Mr Virendra Sharma in the Chair] (7 Dec 2017)

Dawn Butler: It is a great pleasure to serve under your chairmanship, Mr Sharma, and to contribute to the debate. As I have previously stated, 51% of the population are women, and the other 49% would not be here if it was not for the women, so arguing for 50:50 representation in Parliament is really quite reasonable. I am quite disappointed that the Government have not accepted any of the recommendations...

[Mr Laurence Robertson in the Chair] (7 Dec 2017)

Dawn Butler: The whole system is substantially flawed in how it counts the number of constituents, because it takes into consideration only people who are registered to vote, and not everybody who actually lives in the constituency. The right hon. Lady will find that constituencies such as mine—a London constituency—have a substantial number of constituents who are not registered. The whole...

[Mr Laurence Robertson in the Chair] (7 Dec 2017)

Dawn Butler: It is a fact that we have two police and crime commissioners who are women in the Labour party. We could do better in regard to elected Mayors, but the need to do better does not negate the fact that we are doing better than the Conservative party, the Lib Dems or any other party. I concede that we need to do better, can do better and must do better, but that does not in any way negate what...

Industrial Strategy: Points of Order (27 Nov 2017)

Dawn Butler: On a point of order, Mr Speaker. I, too, would like to seek your advice. On 23 November, the Secretary of State for Education and Minister for Women and Equalities misled the House in her response to my hon. Friend the Member for Rutherglen and Hamilton West (Gerard Killen). She referred to a joint report by the Runnymede Trust and the Women’s Budget Group, “Intersecting...

Industrial Strategy: Points of Order (27 Nov 2017)

Dawn Butler: indicated assent.

Women and Equalities: Topical Questions (23 Nov 2017)

Dawn Butler: Yesterday’s Budget proved that austerity is a failed economic project and women have paid the price. Since 2010, 86% of net savings to the Treasury have come from women. Last year, the Treasury refused to send a Minister to the Women and Equalities Committee to answer questions about the impact of the Government’s budget plans and fiscal statements on women. The intersectionality...

Previous Business – Commons: Select Committee (15 Nov 2017)

Women and Equalities: Women in the House of Commons. 10:15 am; The Thatcher Room, Portcullis House
Witnesses: Rt Hon Ian Blackford MP, Leader, SNP Westminster Group Dawn Butler MP, Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities, Labour Party Rt Hon Sir Vince Cable MP, Leader of the Liberal Democrats Amanda Sater, Deputy Chairman, Conservative Party

Sexual Harassment and Violence in Schools (2 Nov 2017)

Dawn Butler: I pay tribute to the right hon. Member for Basingstoke (Mrs Miller) for securing this debate, which she opened with a thoughtful speech. As Chair of the Women and Equalities Committee, she has led important work to expose the extent of sexual harassment and violence in schools. I thank all those who contributed to the debate. We heard moving speeches, including from my hon. Friend the...

Modern Slavery Act 2015: Global LGBT Rights (26 Oct 2017)

Dawn Butler: I thank the right hon. Member for Arundel and South Downs (Nick Herbert) for securing this important debate. We have had a very good discussion, with important and moving contributions from Members in all parts of the House. My hon. Friend the Member for Bristol East (Kerry McCarthy) paid tribute to activists around the world who have been murdered and talked about the leverage our country...

Oral Answers to Questions — Prime Minister: Engagements (18 Oct 2017)

Dawn Butler: Sit down now!

Women and Equalities: Gender Pay Gap (12 Oct 2017)

Dawn Butler: Two days ago, the First Secretary of State made a statement to the House on the race disparity audit. He also told the House, as a white man with privilege, that he knew more about race than me—a black women with lived experiences—and Opposition Members, who are a broad church. As there are seven Ministers here today, will the Minister for Women and Equalities highlight seven of...

Race Disparity Audit (10 Oct 2017)

Dawn Butler: I thank the First Secretary of State for early sight of his statement. There is value in putting all the data together in one portal, but what matters most is what the Government are going to do about the problems that have been identified. For some years, the Women’s Budget Group and the Runnymede Trust have been looking at some of the burning issues, including the impact of austerity...

Written Answers — Department for Communities and Local Government: High Rise Flats: Fire Prevention (29 Sep 2017)

Dawn Butler: To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, pursuant to the Answer of 10 July 2017 to Question 2770, what steps are being taken to monitor the provision by local authorities or otherwise of emergency guidance in high-rise blocks in languages spoken by all residents; and if he will make a statement.

Parliamentary Candidates: Barriers for Women (13 Sep 2017)

Dawn Butler: It is a pleasure to serve under your chairmanship, Sir Roger. I thank the hon. Member for Eastleigh (Mims Davies) for securing this important debate. Women make up 51% of the UK population—and if it were not for them, the other 49% would not be here. It is no big ask for Parliament to be represented 50:50. I am proud that Labour has more women than all the other political parties put...

Parliamentary Candidates: Barriers for Women (13 Sep 2017)

Dawn Butler: I agree. I am sorry to disappoint the right hon. Lady in breaking the consensus, but it is my job to talk about the uncomfortable truths on the barriers to women entering Parliament.

Parliamentary Candidates: Barriers for Women (13 Sep 2017)

Dawn Butler: The right hon. Lady is right. I will come to some more solutions and ways to ensure that we make this place more acceptable and accessible to women, to which I hope the Government will respond. Sometimes, the issue is not with women standing. Women often stand for positions but find that other barriers stop them from being selected or elected. Some of that is racism, discrimination, sexism...

Parliamentary Candidates: Barriers for Women (13 Sep 2017)

Dawn Butler: That is an extremely valid point. We are a Parliament that should seek to hear the voices of all Members of this House, and that includes women. There should not be all-male Committees in this day and age.

Parliamentary Candidates: Barriers for Women (13 Sep 2017)

Dawn Butler: Absolutely. It can be difficult and uncomfortable, but we do have to challenge our colleagues. The other day, I challenged a Member who used a racist slur while speaking on a panel at the East India Club a few weeks ago. I found that deeply offensive—and there were other Members of Parliament on that panel who did not challenge that language. That kind of attitude is a barrier to women...

Parliamentary Candidates: Barriers for Women (13 Sep 2017)

Dawn Butler: I have been very generous. Would the hon. Lady mind if I continued a little longer? We can come to some of the solutions; I hope that when the Minister responds she will tackle some of them. In February 2016, the Law Commission published its interim report, which urged the Government to redraft electoral offences in a more modern and simple way so that they can be more readily understood and...


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > >>

Create an alert

Did you find what you were looking for?

Advanced search

Find this exact word or phrase

You can also do this from the main search box by putting exact words in quotes: like "cycling" or "hutton report"

By default, we show words related to your search term, like “cycle” and “cycles” in a search for cycling. Putting the word in quotes, like "cycling", will stop this.

Excluding these words

You can also do this from the main search box by putting a minus sign before words you don’t want: like hunting -fox

We also support a bunch of boolean search modifiers, like AND and NEAR, for precise searching.

Date range

to

You can give a start date, an end date, or both to restrict results to a particular date range. A missing end date implies the current date, and a missing start date implies the oldest date we have in the system. Dates can be entered in any format you wish, e.g. 3rd March 2007 or 17/10/1989

Person

Enter a name here to restrict results to contributions only by that person.

Section

Restrict results to a particular parliament or assembly that we cover (e.g. the Scottish Parliament), or a particular type of data within an institution, such as Commons Written Answers.

Column

If you know the actual Hansard column number of the information you are interested in (perhaps you’re looking up a paper reference), you can restrict results to that; you can also use column:123 in the main search box.