As a result of COVID-19, some MPs have been less able to vote in Parliament, and this will be reflected in their voting record.
Show more detail
- 11th May to 2nd June 2020
All MPs could vote remotely through an online voting tool. Votes cast remotely are shown as normal on the TheyWorkForYou voting record.
- 2nd to 9th June 2020
The option of online voting was removed, and a number of MPs may have been unable to vote because they were not physically able to attend.
- 10th June 2020 onwards
The requirements on proxy voting were relaxed, allowing MPs to designate another MP to cast a vote on their behalf.
If an MP votes by proxy, it is effectively exactly the same as if they cast the vote in person and it shows up on their TheyWorkForYou voting record.
MPs are not required to designate a proxy, and may instead pair with an opposing MP to miss a vote. Parliament does not record when two MPs have come to a pairing arrangement, so on TheyWorkForYou, they will both appear to have been absent for the vote.
We will update this information if the situation changes. See more detail on votes during the COVID-19 period here.
My Lords, there are four Motions in the name of the noble Lord, Lord Bethell. The time limit is one and a half hours.
I have received no requests to speak after the Minister so I call the noble Baroness, Lady Hamwee, to respond to the debate on her amendment.
We now come to the group consisting of Amendment 81. I remind noble Lords that anyone wishing to speak after the Minister should email the clerk during the debate. Anyone wishing to press the amendment to a Division should make that clear in the debate.
More of Lord Bates’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 7 July 2008
Currently held offices
- Deputy Chairman of Committees (since 21 Apr 2020)
Other offices held in the past
- The Minister of State, Department for International Development (14 Oct 2016 to 23 Apr 2019)
- The Minister of State, Home Department (12 May 2015 to 31 Mar 2016)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department (6 Aug 2014 to 7 May 2015)
- Lords Spokesperson (Department for Work and Pensions) (7 Oct 2013 to 6 Aug 2014)
- Lord in Waiting (HM Household) (Whip) (7 Oct 2013 to 6 Aug 2014)
- Member, Olympic and Paralympic Legacy Committee (16 May 2013 to 6 Nov 2013)
- Deputy Chairman of Committees (14 Feb 2013 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Member, Partnerships (Prosecution) (Scotland) Bill Special Public Bill Committee (22 Jan 2013 to 13 Feb 2013)
- Member, Leader's Group on Working Practices Committee (27 Jul 2010 to 26 Apr 2011)
- - Shadow Minister (Also Shadow Minister for Communities and Local Government and Energy and Climate Change), Shadow Minister (8 Sep 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- - Shadow Minister (Also Shadow Minister for the Cabinet Office and Energy and Climate Change), Shadow Minister (8 Sep 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- - Shadow Minister (Also Shadow Minister for Communities and Local Government and Energy & Climate Change), Shadow Minister (27 Jul 2009 to 8 Sep 2009)
- - Shadow Minister (Also Shadow Minister for the Cabinet Office and Energy & Climate Change), Shadow Minister (27 Jul 2009 to 8 Sep 2009)
- - Shadow Minister (Also Shadow Minister for the Cabinet Office and Communities and Local Government), Shadow Minister (27 Jul 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister (3 Jul 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Business, Innovation and Skills) (3 Jul 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister, Cabinet Office (19 Jan 2009 to 27 Jul 2009)
- Shadow Minister, Communities and Local Government (19 Jan 2009 to 27 Jul 2009)
- Shadow Minister, Energy and Climate Change (19 Jan 2009 to 27 Jul 2009)
- Deputy Chair, Conservative Party (1 Jan 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Paymaster General (HM Treasury) (16 Dec 1996 to 1 May 1997)
- Government Whip (1 Jan 1995 to 1 Jan 1996)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (20 Jul 1994 to 1 Jan 1995)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (25 Apr 1994 to 25 Nov 1994)
- Member, Health and Social Care Committee (6 Dec 1993 to 27 Jun 1994)
- Member, Social Security Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 30 Nov 1992)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from