A selection of Lord Newby's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, in 2011
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Show votes
6 votes for, 4 votes against, 5 absences, between 2008–2011
Consistently voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2010
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2010
Consistently voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Newby’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Newby’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, I, too, thank the noble Baroness the Leader of the House for repeating the extremely comprehensive Statement. I take the opportunity to pay tribute to all those who lost their lives in the tragedy; our sympathies are, of course, with all those residents who will have to rebuild their lives after such a horrific event and with the families of those affected. I also put on record...
My Lords, each year, in advance of the Queen’s Speech, we receive our Writ of Summons. Normally when I glance at it, I smile rather complacently when I see that we are being summoned to consider “arduous and urgent affairs” and “imminent perils”. This year, however, those words seem only too apt. We are indeed, as the Queen herself put it, living in sombre times,...
My Lords, I associate myself with the comments of the Leader and the Leader of the Opposition. Everybody in your Lordships’ House knows that Sir David Beamish is a man of many talents. One that he hid from me at least was the one that both speakers have referred to—namely, his ability as a quiz show contestant. Not only did he win “Mastermind”, he also won...
More of Lord Newby’s recent appearances
Liberal Democrat Peer
Entered the House of Lords in 1997
Currently held offices
- Member, Liaison Committee (Lords) (since 12 Oct 2016)
- Member, House of Lords Commission (since 12 Oct 2016)
- Liberal Democrat Leader in the House of Lords (since 13 Sep 2016)
- Member, Consultative Panel on Parliamentary Security (since 18 Jun 2015)
- Member, Privileges and Conduct, Committee for (Lords) (since 16 May 2012)
- Member, Procedure Committee (Lords) (since 16 May 2012)
- Member, Sub-Committee on Leave of Absence (since 16 May 2012)
- Member, Selection, Committee of (Lords) (since 14 May 2012)
- Member, Accommodation Steering Group Committee (since 9 May 2012)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Finance Committee (Lords) (1 Sep 2016 to 27 Oct 2016)
- Liberal Democrat Lords Chief Whip (27 May 2015 to 13 Sep 2016)
- Member, Insurance Bill [HL] Special Public Bill Committee (19 Nov 2014 to 24 Dec 2014)
- Member, Refreshment Committee (Lords) (20 Jun 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Administration and Works Committee (Lords) (16 May 2012 to 31 Aug 2016)
- Member, Joint Committee on Security (9 May 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Lords Spokesperson (HM Treasury) (Whip) (9 May 2012 to 7 May 2015)
- Captain of the Queen's Bodyguard of the Yeomen of the Guard (HM Household) (Deputy Chief Whip, House of Lords) (9 May 2012 to 7 May 2015)
- Member, Draft Financial Services Bill (Joint Committee) (20 Jul 2011 to 13 Dec 2011)
- Spokesperson for the Treasury (8 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Spokesperson in the Lords, Treasury (22 Feb 2005 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Shadow Minister, Treasury (26 Jan 2004 to 22 Feb 2005)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (24 Jan 2002 to 8 Apr 2010)
- Member, Economic Affairs Committee (28 Jun 2001 to 20 Nov 2003)
- Member, Monetary Policy Committee of the Bank of England (7 Dec 1998 to 11 May 2001)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 30 debates in the last year — above average amongst Lords. See all Lord Newby’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 64.15% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — above average amongst Lords.
- 8 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Newby’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 901 times in debates — well above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from