As a result of COVID-19, some MPs have been less able to vote in Parliament, and this will be reflected in their voting record.
Show more detail
- 11th May to 2nd June 2020
All MPs could vote remotely through an online voting tool. Votes cast remotely are shown as normal on the TheyWorkForYou voting record.
- 2nd to 9th June 2020
The option of online voting was removed, and a number of MPs may have been unable to vote because they were not physically able to attend.
- 10th June 2020 onwards
The requirements on proxy voting were relaxed, allowing MPs to designate another MP to cast a vote on their behalf.
If an MP votes by proxy, it is effectively exactly the same as if they cast the vote in person and it shows up on their TheyWorkForYou voting record.
MPs are not required to designate a proxy, and may instead pair with an opposing MP to miss a vote. Parliament does not record when two MPs have come to a pairing arrangement, so on TheyWorkForYou, they will both appear to have been absent for the vote.
We will update this information if the situation changes. See more detail on votes during the COVID-19 period here.
Former Conservative Peer
Entered the House of Lords on 28 October 1987
Left the House of Lords on 7 March 2008 — Died
Other offices held in the past
- Foreign Secretary (6 Apr 1982 to 10 Jun 1983)
- Member, Privileges Committee (4 Nov 1981 to 22 Apr 1982)
- Lord President of the Council and Leader of the House Lords (Privy Council Office) (14 Sep 1981 to 6 Apr 1982)
- Chair, Privileges Committee (14 Jan 1981 to 22 Apr 1982)
- Member, House of Commons (Services) Committee (14 Jan 1981 to 22 Apr 1982)
- Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster (5 Jan 1981 to 26 Oct 1981)
- Paymaster General (HM Treasury) (5 Jan 1981 to 13 Sep 1981)
- The Secretary of State for Defence (5 May 1979 to 4 Jan 1981)
- Member, Privileges Committee (1 Nov 1978 to 17 Nov 1978)
- Shadow Secretary of State (23 Sep 1978 to 4 May 1979)
- Shadow Foreign Secretary (23 Sep 1978 to 4 May 1979)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (1 Jul 1976 to 23 Sep 1978)
- Shadow Secretary of State (1 Mar 1974 to 1 Jul 1976)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (1 Mar 1974 to 1 Jul 1976)
- The Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (2 Dec 1973 to 4 Mar 1974)
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (Chief Whip) (20 Jun 1970 to 2 Dec 1973)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (1 Jan 1962 to 14 Oct 1964)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from