A selection of Lord Desai's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
Has never voted on raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year
Has never voted on university tuition fees
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Desai’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Desai’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, I, too, am grateful to the noble Lord, Lord Dykes, for getting time for this debate. I will start by saying that next year we will have the centenary of the Balfour Declaration, and in many ways what is going on in the Middle East right now—not just in Israel, Palestine and Syria, but what has already happened in Iraq and so on—is basically cleaning up the mess left by...
My Lords, until about five minutes ago I was very worried for the noble Lord, Lord O’Neill of Gatley, because there was hardly anybody behind him on the Back Benches. When I counted, there was often only one person— probably assigned for that duty—and when they went off, somebody else came in rather morosely. I was thinking of when somebody was to be sacked from the...
More of Lord Desai’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords in 1991
Currently held offices
- Member, EU Financial Affairs Sub-Committee (since 12 Jul 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Intergovernmental Organisations Committee (15 Nov 2007 to 7 Jul 2008)
- Member, Merits of Statutory Instruments Committee (17 Dec 2003 to 18 Nov 2004)
- Member, Committee on the Speakership of the House (9 Jul 2003 to 19 Dec 2005)
- Member, Delegated Powers and Regulatory Reform Committee (16 Jun 2001 to 7 May 2005)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee A (20 Nov 1995 to 11 Nov 1999)
- Member, Science and Technology: Sub-Committee I (19 May 1992 to 3 Nov 1994)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Lords) (12 Nov 1991 to 3 Nov 1994)
- Member, Select Committee on Science and Technology Sub-Committee 2 (12 Nov 1991 to 17 Mar 1992)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 17 debates in the last year — above average amongst Lords. See all Lord Desai’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 60.91% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — above average amongst Lords.
- 7 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Desai’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 285 times in debates — well above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from