A selection of Lord Desai's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
7 votes for, 0 votes against, 8 absences, between 2008–2011
Has never voted on university tuition fees
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 6 votes against, 1 absence, in 2011
Has never voted on raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, 1 absence, in 2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Desai’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Desai’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, in the brief time I have, I want to concentrate on what the House of Lords did during the Jallianwala Bagh massacre and the discussions afterwards. It is a particularly sad episode in the history of your Lordships’ House. While the House of Commons condemned Dyer’s behaviour and cashiered him—Edwin Montagu, who was Secretary of State for India, made a very powerful speech and...
My Lords, I have not spoken on Brexit more than about three times in the past two years—I think that I deserve a prize for that. I spoke last on 5 December and more or less what I said then I will say again, but with a few more caveats. My principal view is that people voted for Brexit. I voted remain; people voted for Brexit. It does not help to say, as did the noble Lord, Lord Newby,...
My Lords, I am a realistic pessimist about this. I think life is such that you do not always get the best option, no matter how hard you try. You have to choose between the second and the third best, or even the fourth best. So I am going to make a small forecast, because everything else has been said. I reckon that, just as the challenge to the Prime Minister in the 1922 Committee has not...
More of Lord Desai’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords in 1991
Currently held offices
- Member, EU Financial Affairs Sub-Committee (since 12 Jul 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Intergovernmental Organisations Committee (15 Nov 2007 to 7 Jul 2008)
- Member, Merits of Statutory Instruments Committee (17 Dec 2003 to 18 Nov 2004)
- Member, Committee on the Speakership of the House (9 Jul 2003 to 19 Dec 2005)
- Member, Delegated Powers and Regulatory Reform Committee (16 Jun 2001 to 7 May 2005)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee A (20 Nov 1995 to 11 Nov 1999)
- Member, Science and Technology: Sub-Committee I (19 May 1992 to 3 Nov 1994)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Lords) (12 Nov 1991 to 3 Nov 1994)
- Member, Select Committee on Science and Technology Sub-Committee 2 (12 Nov 1991 to 17 Mar 1992)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 15 debates in the last year — above average amongst Lords. See all Lord Desai’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 59.70% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- 7 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Desai’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 315 times in debates — well above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from