My Lords, as the noble and learned Lord does not appear to like the word profit, can he tell us how much of the surplus was made available for distribution to other aspects of the justice system?
My Lords, a few minutes ago, the Minister referred to the great successes of this mixed-market model. Can he help people such as me by giving a couple of examples of these great successes? Can he then explain why it has been so necessary to introduce such proposals for major reform?
My Lords, I am not wildly enthusiastic about referenda—I was not enthusiastic the first time round and I am not for a second one. Would it not be better to take action now to create the circumstances in which we can have a proper national debate about what we want rather than what we do not want, which would best be facilitated by revoking Article 50?
More of Lord Tomlinson’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords in 1998
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Insurance Bill [HL] Special Public Bill Committee (27 Nov 2014 to 24 Dec 2014)
- Member, EU Sub Committee F - Home Affairs, Health and Education (17 May 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, European Union Committee (22 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee F - Home Affairs (22 Jun 2010 to 16 May 2012)
- Member, Audit Committee (Lords) (13 Dec 2008 to 14 Jan 2013)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee E - Justice and Institutions (13 Nov 2007 to 8 Apr 2010)
- Member, Conventions (Joint Committee) (22 May 2006 to 31 Oct 2006)
- Member, European Union Committee (29 Nov 2004 to 26 Apr 2008)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee C - Foreign Affairs, Defence and Development Policy (8 Dec 2003 to 30 Nov 2007)
- Member, House of Lords Offices Committee (26 Jun 2001 to 7 Nov 2002)
- Member, European Union Committee (3 Dec 1998 to 7 Nov 2002)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee A (24 Nov 1998 to 7 Nov 2002)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Ministry of Overseas Development) (3 Jan 1977 to 4 May 1979)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (17 Mar 1976 to 4 May 1979)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 22 debates in the last year — above average amongst Lords. See all Lord Tomlinson’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 62.51% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- 3 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Tomlinson’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 238 times in debates — above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from