A selection of Lord Barnett's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted against university tuition fees Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, in 2010
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
8 votes for, 1 vote against, 6 absences, between 2008–2011
Has never voted on fewer MPs in the House of Commons
Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 3 votes against, 4 absences, in 2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Barnett’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Barnett’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask Her Majesty’s Government, according to the latest figures, what is the difference between the average public expenditure per head in Scotland and in England; and whether that figure has increased since the Select Committee on the Barnett Formula published its report in 2009.
To ask Her Majesty’s Government what assessment they have made of the recent calculations by the Taxpayers’ Alliance that £120 billion of public funds was wasted last year; and what actions they are taking to ensure that public spending offers value for money.
To ask Her Majesty’s Government, further to the answer by Lord Newby on 9 July (HL Deb, cols 209–11), whether they intend to continue to encourage investments in (1) the alternative investment market, (2) start-up businesses, and (3) forestry, in the light of the tax relief available for such investments.
More of Lord Barnett’s recent appearances
Former Labour Peer
Entered the House of Lords in 1983
Left the House of Lords on 1 November 2014 — Died
Other offices held in the past
- Member, House Committee (Lords) (19 Nov 2002 to 30 Oct 2007)
- Member, Economic Affairs Committee (28 Jun 2001 to 18 Nov 2004)
- Member, Monetary Policy Committee of the Bank of England (7 Dec 1998 to 11 May 2001)
- Member, European Union Committee (22 Nov 1994 to 19 Nov 1998)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee A (22 Nov 1994 to 19 Nov 1998)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee A (13 Nov 1984 to 6 Nov 1986)
- Chair, Public Accounts Committee (1 Jan 1980 to 9 Jun 1983)
- Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury (4 May 1979 to 14 Jul 1979)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (3 May 1979 to 9 Jun 1983)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (3 May 1979 to 1 Jan 1980)
- The Chief Secretary to the Treasury (7 Mar 1974 to 4 May 1979)
- Shadow Spokesperson (1 Aug 1970 to 31 Jul 1974)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Business, Innovation and Skills) (1 Aug 1970 to 31 Jul 1974)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 2 debates in the last year — below average amongst Lords. See all Lord Barnett’s speeches
- Has received answers to 10 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 46.36% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- 5 people are tracking this peer
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 238 times in debates — well above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from