A selection of Lord Best's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, in 2011
Consistently voted for more EU integration Show votes
10 votes for, 0 votes against, 5 absences, between 2008–2011
Voted against university tuition fees Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, in 2010
Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
1 vote for, 4 votes against, 2 absences, in 2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Best’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Best’s full vote analysis page for more.
Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Bill - Third reading – Lord Best.
My Lords, I understand that no amendments have been set down to this Bill, and that no noble Lord has indicated a wish to move a manuscript amendment or to speak in Committee. Unless, therefore, any noble Lord objects, I beg to move that the order of commitment be discharged. Motion agreed.
My Lords, we need this alternative stream of new homes because otherwise we are totally reliant on a handful of very large volume housebuilders which consistently let us down in terms of quantity, quality, affordability and design. This is a really important new stream of extra housing, but we are awaiting guidance from the Government for local authorities on their planning obligations. This...
More of Lord Best’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 26 June 2001
Currently held offices
- Member, EU Home Affairs Sub-Committee (since 16 Oct 2018)
Other offices held in the past
- Chair, Communications Committee (12 Jun 2014 to 27 Apr 2017)
- Member, Olympic and Paralympic Legacy Committee (16 May 2013 to 6 Nov 2013)
- Member, Information Committee (Lords) (16 May 2013 to 14 May 2014)
- Member, Economic Affairs Committee (13 Nov 2007 to 1 May 2012)
- Member, Draft Charities Bill (Joint Committee) (10 May 2004 to 15 Sep 2004)
- Member, Audit Committee (Lords) (13 Nov 2002 to 26 Nov 2008)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 18 debates in the last year — above average amongst Lords. See all Lord Best’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 30.57% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — below average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- 25 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Best’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 308 times in debates — well above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from