The most reverend Primate has been a great champion for economic and social justice. To his credit, he was one of the first people to speak up against loan sharks, and this debate reflects his determination and vision in achieving that social justice through educating the whole person. The noble Lord, Lord Sacks, and others have said that education is a key element of our social...
I can shed a little light on the subject. The letter was from the Minister to the Public Accounts Committee in another place.
When President Jack Kennedy said that you do politics with the people not to the people, I always thought that what he had in mind was regulation. I agree with the noble Baroness, Lady Neville-Rolfe, when she said that regulation has to be well thought through, well explained and balanced and has to do the job. I add that neither should regulations be an excuse for skeleton Bills or for...
More of Lord Haskel’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords in 1993
Currently held offices
- Member, Secondary Legislation Scrutiny Committee (since 8 Jun 2015)
- Deputy Speaker (Lords) (since 29 Nov 2010)
- Deputy Chairman of Committees (since 2 Jun 2010)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Financial Exclusion Committee (25 May 2016 to 25 Mar 2017)
- Member, National Policy for the Built Environment Committee (11 Jun 2015 to 23 Jun 2015)
- Member, Digital Skills Committee (12 Jun 2014 to 4 Feb 2015)
- Member, Small and Medium Sized Enterprises Committee (29 May 2012 to 28 Feb 2013)
- Member, EU Sub Committee B - Internal Market, Infrastructure and Employment (17 May 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee B - Internal Market, Energy and Transport (22 Jun 2010 to 16 May 2012)
- Member, Delegated Powers and Regulatory Reform Committee (25 Nov 2009 to 14 May 2014)
- Member, Information Committee (Lords) (25 Nov 2009 to 14 May 2014)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Lords) (21 Nov 2006 to 8 Apr 2010)
- Member, Science and Technology: Sub-Committee I (21 Nov 2006 to 8 Apr 2010)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee B - Internal Market (8 Dec 2003 to 30 Oct 2007)
- Member, Information Committee (Lords) (4 Dec 2003 to 30 Nov 2007)
- Member, Tax Law Rewrite Bills (Joint Committee) (9 Dec 2002 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Procedure Committee (Lords) (26 Jun 2001 to 18 Nov 2004)
- Member, Financial Services and Markets (Joint Committee) (2 Mar 1999 to 11 Nov 1999)
- Member, Select Committee on Science and Technology Sub-Committee 2 (24 Nov 1998 to 11 May 2001)
- Lord in Waiting (HM Household) (Whip) (8 May 1997 to 28 Aug 1998)
- Government Whip (7 May 1997 to 28 Jul 1998)
- Member, Science and Technology: Sub-Committee I (21 Nov 1995 to 20 Nov 2003)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Lords) (22 Nov 1994 to 7 Nov 2002)
- Member, Select Committee on Science and Technology Sub-Committee 2 (22 Nov 1994 to 17 Oct 1996)
- Member, Consolidation Bills (Joint Committee) (18 Apr 1994 to 8 Apr 1997)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from