A selection of Lord Irvine of Lairg's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Has never voted on university tuition fees
Has never voted on raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, 2 absences, in 2011
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
8 votes for, 1 vote against, 6 absences, between 2008–2011
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, 1 absence, in 2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Irvine of Lairg’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Irvine of Lairg’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, I will make a few remarks in support of the noble Lord, Lord Pannick, my noble friend Lord Beecham and the noble and learned Lord, Lord Woolf. In their consultation paper, which preceded the proposed changes, the Government acknowledged: “Judicial review is a critical check on the power of the State, providing an effective mechanism for challenging the decisions, acts or...
My Lords, I, too, congratulate the noble Baroness, Lady Deech, on having secured this timely debate. I will confine myself to the impact of the Lord Chancellor’s legal aid proposals on judicial review. The Constitutional Reform Act 2005 provides in Part 1 that the Act will not adversely affect, “the existing constitutional principle of the rule of law, or … the Lord...
While acknowledging the Minister's own commitment to the Human Rights Act, are there not at least double standards at work, or worse hypocrisy, when the Prime Minister and other members of the Cabinet preach the virtues of human rights and respect for the rule of law abroad while trashing these self-same virtues at home?
More of Lord Irvine of Lairg’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords in 1987
Currently held offices
- Member, Sub-Committee on Lords' Conduct (since 19 Jan 2009)
- Member, Privileges and Conduct, Committee for (Lords) (since 10 Dec 2008)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Constitution Committee (25 Nov 2009 to 14 May 2014)
- Member, Speaker's Committee on the Electoral Commission (1 Jan 2003 to 12 Jun 2003)
- Member, Procedure Committee (Lords) (9 Jun 1997 to 16 Jul 2003)
- Member, House of Lords Offices Committee (5 Jun 1997 to 7 Nov 2002)
- Lord Chancellor, Lord Chancellor's Department (2 May 1997 to 12 Jun 2003)
- Lord Chancellor (2 May 1997 to 12 Jun 2003)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 0 debates in the last year — below average amongst Lords. See all Lord Irvine of Lairg’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 54.83% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — average amongst Lords.
- 8 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Irvine of Lairg’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 116 times in debates — above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from