As a result of COVID-19, some MPs have been less able to vote in Parliament, and this will be reflected in their voting record.
Show more detail
- 11th May to 2nd June 2020
All MPs could vote remotely through an online voting tool. Votes cast remotely are shown as normal on the TheyWorkForYou voting record.
- 2nd to 9th June 2020
The option of online voting was removed, and a number of MPs may have been unable to vote because they were not physically able to attend.
- 10th June 2020 onwards
The requirements on proxy voting were relaxed, allowing MPs to designate another MP to cast a vote on their behalf.
If an MP votes by proxy, it is effectively exactly the same as if they cast the vote in person and it shows up on their TheyWorkForYou voting record.
MPs are not required to designate a proxy, and may instead pair with an opposing MP to miss a vote. Parliament does not record when two MPs have come to a pairing arrangement, so on TheyWorkForYou, they will both appear to have been absent for the vote.
We will update this information if the situation changes. See more detail on votes during the COVID-19 period here.
A selection of Lord Plant of Highfield's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Consistently voted against university tuition fees Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, in 2010
Almost always voted for more EU integration Show votes
7 votes for, 0 votes against, 8 absences, between 2008–2011
Almost always voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, 2 absences, in 2011
Voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, 2 absences, in 2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Plant of Highfield’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Plant of Highfield’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, most of what needed to be said has been said. I echo everything that noble Lords have said about the initiative by the noble Lord, Lord Black, and I am very pleased that he called for this debate. Like other noble Lords, I have had AF for a very long time—20 years or more—and I have been taking warfarin every day, along with a low-dose aspirin, for 20 years. This medication was...
My Lords, I should like to add my thanks to the noble and learned Lord, Lord Woolf, for initiating this debate. Perhaps I may draw attention to my interests as set out in the register. I want to devote all my remarks to the idea of the rule of law, because what exactly that might mean is not without controversy. There is a fairly straightforward idea of the rule of law, which I think is...
Report of the Joint Committee on the Draft Enhanced Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures Bill – Lord Plant of Highfield.
More of Lord Plant of Highfield’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords in 1992
Currently held offices
- Member, Bribery Act 2010 Committee (since 17 May 2018)
- Member, Consolidation, &c., Bills (Joint Committee) (since 19 Jul 2017)
- Member, Committee of Selection (Lords) (since 22 Jun 2017)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (since 9 Jul 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Intellectual Property (Unjustified Threats) Bill [HL] Special Public Bill Committee (13 Sep 2016 to 9 Nov 2016)
- Member, Consolidation, &c., Bills (Joint Committee) (25 May 2016 to 27 Apr 2017)
- Member, High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill Select Committee (Lords) (5 May 2016 to 25 May 2016)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (7 Jul 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Able Marine Energy Park Development Consent Order 2014 Committee (9 Jun 2014 to 30 Oct 2014)
- Member, Inheritance and Trustees’ Powers Bill [HL] Committee (28 Oct 2013 to 16 Dec 2013)
- Member, Draft Enhanced Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures Bill (Joint Committee) (3 Jul 2012 to 21 Nov 2012)
- Member, Secondary Legislation Scrutiny Committee (16 May 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Merits of Statutory Instruments Committee (22 Jul 2010 to 15 May 2012)
- Member, Draft Constitutional Renewal Bill (Joint Committee) (1 May 2008 to 22 Jul 2008)
- Member, Human Rights (Joint Committee) (2 Dec 2003 to 14 Nov 2007)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee E (12 Jan 1998 to 20 Nov 2003)
- Member, Relations between Central and Local Government, Committee on (27 Nov 1995 to 2 Jul 1996)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from