A selection of Lord Alderdice's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Almost always voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
6 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, in 2011
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
1 vote for, 5 votes against, 9 absences, between 2008–2011
Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2010
Consistently voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2011
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2010
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Alderdice’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Alderdice’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, in the past we found that when we dealt with the big political questions it was very difficult to get anywhere, but if we got down to some practical issues it was often possible to get engagement. I suggest that the Minister puts it to the Secretary of State that addressing agriculture and the agri-food business on a cross-border basis, and energy requirements, particularly...
My Lords, I listened with some interest and considerable agreement to the noble Lord, Lord Wilson of Dinton. I cannot, however, go along with his final enthusiastic flourish: that we must continue to argue for what we believe in. I say that not because I do not argue for what I believe in, but because both sides of this argument have been arguing for what they believe in for the past few...
More of Lord Alderdice’s recent appearances
Liberal Democrat Peer, Former Speaker, and MLA for Belfast East
Entered the House of Lords in 1996
Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
Left the Assembly on 28 April 2003 — General election
Party was Alliance until 30 Jun 1998; Initial Presiding Officer until 30 Nov 1999; Speaker until 28 Apr 2003
Also represented Belfast East
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Administration and Works Committee (Lords) (8 Jun 2015 to 31 Aug 2016)
- Liberal Democrat Lords Spokesperson (Northern Ireland) (1 Jun 2015 to 28 Oct 2016)
- Member, Mental Capacity Act 2005 Committee (16 May 2013 to 25 Feb 2014)
- Member, Science and Technology: Sub-Committee I (22 Jun 2010 to 13 Oct 2011)
- Member, House Committee (Lords) (15 Jun 2010 to 25 Feb 2014)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Lords) (15 Jun 2010 to 25 Feb 2014)
- Member, Procedure Committee (Lords) (19 Nov 2002 to 7 Apr 2005)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 44 debates in the last year — well above average amongst Lords. See all Lord Alderdice’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 36.48% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- 13 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Alderdice’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 253 times in debates — above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from