As a result of COVID-19, some MPs have been less able to vote in Parliament, and this will be reflected in their voting record.
Show more detail
- 11th May to 2nd June 2020
All MPs could vote remotely through an online voting tool. Votes cast remotely are shown as normal on the TheyWorkForYou voting record.
- 2nd to 9th June 2020
The option of online voting was removed, and a number of MPs may have been unable to vote because they were not physically able to attend.
- 10th June 2020 onwards
The requirements on proxy voting were relaxed, allowing MPs to designate another MP to cast a vote on their behalf.
If an MP votes by proxy, it is effectively exactly the same as if they cast the vote in person and it shows up on their TheyWorkForYou voting record.
MPs are not required to designate a proxy, and may instead pair with an opposing MP to miss a vote. Parliament does not record when two MPs have come to a pairing arrangement, so on TheyWorkForYou, they will both appear to have been absent for the vote.
We will update this information if the situation changes. See more detail on votes during the COVID-19 period here.
A selection of Viscount Ullswater's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, in 2011
Generally voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 5 absences, in 2011
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
1 vote for, 11 votes against, 3 absences, between 2008–2011
Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2010
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2010
We have lots more plain English analysis of Viscount Ullswater’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Viscount Ullswater’s full vote analysis page for more.
Entered the House of Lords on 1 April 2003
Currently held offices
- Member, Procedure and Privileges Committee (since 1 Jul 2019)
- Member, Committee of Selection (Lords) (since 28 May 2015)
- Member, Committee for Privileges and Conduct (Lords) (since 5 Dec 2013)
- Deputy Chairman of Committees (since 2 Jun 2010)
- Member, Freedom of Information Advisory Panel (Lords) (since 7 Dec 2004)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, EU Energy and Environment Sub-Committee (12 Jun 2015 to 30 Apr 2019)
- Chair, Able Marine Energy Park Development Consent Order 2014 Committee (30 Jun 2014 to 30 Oct 2014)
- Member, Delegated Powers and Regulatory Reform Committee (12 Jun 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Able Marine Energy Park Development Consent Order 2014 Committee (9 Jun 2014 to 30 Jun 2014)
- Deputy Speaker (Lords) (29 Nov 2010 to 23 May 2020)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Lords) (2 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Procedure and Privileges Committee (25 Nov 2009 to 14 May 2014)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee D - Environment and Agriculture (21 Nov 2006 to 8 Apr 2010)
- Member, Administration and Works Committee (Lords) (7 Jun 2005 to 12 Nov 2009)
- Member, Merits of Statutory Instruments Committee (17 Dec 2003 to 7 May 2005)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee F - Home Affairs (8 Dec 2003 to 8 Nov 2006)
- Member, House of Lords Offices Committee (5 Jun 1997 to 11 Nov 1999)
- Member, Committee for Privileges and Conduct (Lords) (10 Oct 1994 to 3 Nov 1994)
- Member, Procedure and Privileges Committee (10 Oct 1994 to 3 Nov 1994)
- Member, Committee of Selection (Lords) (10 Oct 1994 to 3 Nov 1994)
- Member, House of Lords Offices Committee (1 Dec 1993 to 5 Nov 1994)
- Member, Adminstration Sub Committee (1 Dec 1993 to 3 Nov 1994)
- Member, Refreshment Sub Committee (1 Dec 1993 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, European Union Committee (29 Nov 1988 to 1 Nov 1990)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee D (6 Nov 1985 to 1 Nov 1990)
- Member, European Communities Committee on Passports (24 May 1979 to 6 Nov 1979)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from