A selection of Lord Strathclyde's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
7 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2011
Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2010
Consistently voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2011
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2010
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
1 vote for, 12 votes against, 2 absences, between 2008–2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Strathclyde’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Strathclyde’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, I should like to join in with a short tribute to Lord Richard. I was the Government Chief Whip from 1994 to 1997 when both he and Lord Graham ran a most effective and expert Opposition, which made our lives extremely difficult. Looking back over 20 years, one might have assumed that the transition from Opposition to Government under the Blairite wave of good will that swept the...
My Lords, this debate deals with the consequences of overturning 50 years of British public policy, seemingly doing so overnight as a result of the referendum. My purpose in the debate is to follow those who have talked about the role of the House and how it should deal with the legislation before us. As my noble friend the Leader of the House pointed out at the start, this is a process Bill....
My Lords, this is the lesson of history. This is exactly what happened in 1911. It is that ultimate power of the Prime Minister representing the House of Commons to be able to threaten the House of Lords with an influx of new Peers which encourages us to behave in an entirely constitutional way. Once you have removed that threat, it changes the relationship between the two Houses, and it...
More of Lord Strathclyde’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords in 1985
Other offices held in the past
- Leader of the House of Lords and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster (12 May 2010 to 7 Jan 2013)
- Leader of the Opposition In the House of Lords, Parliament (6 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Lords, Parliament (9 Jul 2007 to 9 Jul 2007)
- Leader of Opposition In the House of Lords, Parliament (9 Jul 2007 to 6 Jan 2009)
- Leader of the Opposition In the House of Lords, Parliament (16 Dec 2005 to 6 Jul 2007)
- Leader of the Opposition In the House of Lords, House of Lords (17 Mar 2005 to 16 Dec 2005)
- Leader of the Opposition In the House of Lords, Parliament (10 May 2004 to 17 Mar 2005)
- Member, House Committee (Lords) (19 Nov 2002 to 9 Jan 2013)
- Member, Finance and Staff Sub Committee (17 Dec 1998 to 7 Nov 2002)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Lords) (14 Dec 1998 to 9 Jan 2013)
- Member, Select Committee on Science and Technology Sub-Committee 2 (24 Oct 1996 to 8 Apr 1997)
- Member, Committee of Selection (Lords) (17 Nov 1994 to 9 Jan 2013)
- Member, Committee for Privileges and Conduct (Lords) (10 Oct 1994 to 9 Jan 2013)
- Member, Procedure Committee (Lords) (10 Oct 1994 to 9 Jan 2013)
- Member, Adminstration Sub Committee (10 Oct 1994 to 19 Nov 1998)
- Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms (HM Household) (Chief Whip, House of Lords) (20 Jul 1994 to 8 Apr 1997)
- Minister of State (Department of Trade and Industry) (11 Jan 1993 to 20 Jul 1994)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Environment) (26 Jul 1992 to 7 Sep 1993)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Scottish Office) (7 Sep 1990 to 28 Nov 1992)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Employment) (26 Jul 1989 to 24 Jul 1990)
- Member, Library and Computers Sub Committee (6 Dec 1988 to 1 Nov 1990)
- Lord in Waiting (HM Household) (Whip) (12 Aug 1988 to 24 Jul 1989)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 5 debates in the last year — average amongst Lords. See all Lord Strathclyde’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 54.74% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 14 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- 8 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Strathclyde’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 863 times in debates — well above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from