A selection of Lord McNally’s votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2010.
Almost always voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
6 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, in 2011.
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Show votes
10 votes for, 3 votes against, 2 absences, between 2008–2011.
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2010.
Consistently voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, in 2011.
Absences for this policy may be affected COVID-19 restrictions.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord McNally’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord McNally’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, these exchanges have already pinpointed the problem that the noble Lord, Lord Holmes, is trying to highlight. The skills required by the next generation to understand and deal with new technologies are real and present now. Quite frankly, the list he put forward of skills to be acquired are beyond the reach of a single department, including the Department for Education. His idea of...
My Lords, as a former Deputy Leader of this House, if I were sitting on the Front Bench, I would have more gumption than to try to start a debate only 10 minutes before closing time. But I realise that the wheels grind on—perhaps things are no longer as flexible as they were in my day—so noble Lords will get my speech. The noble Lord, Lord Grade, who is at his post—it is very...
My Lords, nothing the Minister has said so far can give us any confidence that the process is not going to still be influenced by No. 10 Downing Street. Therefore, is it not absolutely imperative that a system of selection be produced that makes it clear that whoever the incumbent is in No. 10, they will not have undue or improper influence on this appointment? I say this as someone who was...
More of Lord McNally’s recent appearances
Liberal Democrat Peer
Entered the House of Lords in 1995
Currently held offices
- Member, Procedure and Privileges Committee (since 31 Jan 2023)
- Member, EU Services Sub-Committee (since 23 Apr 2020)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, EU Home Affairs Sub-Committee (2 Jul 2019 to 23 Apr 2020)
- Member, Regenerating Seaside Towns and Communities Committee (17 May 2018 to 19 Mar 2019)
- Member, Insurance Bill [HL] Special Public Bill Committee (19 Nov 2014 to 24 Dec 2014)
- Member, Inheritance and Trustees’ Powers Bill [HL] Committee (28 Oct 2013 to 16 Dec 2013)
- Member, Trusts (Capital and Income) Bill [HL] Special Public Bill Committee (19 Jun 2012 to 24 Jul 2012)
- Deputy Leader of the House of Lords (13 May 2010 to 14 Oct 2013)
- The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice (13 May 2010 to 18 Dec 2013)
- Leader in the House of Lords, Spokesperson for Constitutional Affairs (8 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Committee for Privileges and Conduct (Lords) (10 Dec 2008 to 16 Oct 2013)
- Spokesperson in the Lords, Ministry of Justice (27 Jul 2007 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Member, Conventions (Joint Committee) (22 May 2006 to 31 Oct 2006)
- Leader In the House of Lords (22 Feb 2005 to 21 Mar 2006)
- Leader, House of Lords (22 Feb 2005 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Lords) (2 Dec 2004 to 16 Oct 2013)
- Member, Committee for Privileges and Conduct (Lords) (2 Dec 2004 to 30 Oct 2007)
- Member, Procedure and Privileges Committee (2 Dec 2004 to 16 Oct 2013)
- Member, House Committee (Lords) (1 Dec 2004 to 16 Oct 2013)
- Member, Committee of Selection (Lords) (24 Nov 2004 to 16 Oct 2013)
- Liberal Democrat Leader in the House of Lords (24 Nov 2004 to 15 Oct 2013)
- Shadow Minister (Broadcasting), Culture, Media & Sport (26 Jan 2004 to 22 Feb 2005)
- Deputy Leader, House of Lords (26 Jan 2004 to 15 Nov 2004)
- Member, Draft Communications Bill (Joint Committee) (29 Apr 2002 to 7 Nov 2002)
- Member, Public Service, Committee on (30 Apr 1996 to 19 Nov 1998)
- Member, Trade & Industry Committee (3 May 1979 to 15 May 1987)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (3 May 1979 to 9 Jun 1983)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)