A selection of Viscount Astor's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Has never voted on fewer MPs in the House of Commons
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
Consistently voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Viscount Astor’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Viscount Astor’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask Her Majesty’s Government when they expect to publish the Frontier Economics report commissioned by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport on the level of contributions from the betting industry to the horse-racing industry.
To ask Her Majesty’s Government what progress has been made towards the introduction of the Horserace Betting Right.
My Lords, since I put down this Question for Short Debate, events have moved on and the Government have proposed an extension of the levy rather than their original proposed racing right. Much has to be done to succeed finally in bringing a long-term funding solution for racing but it is worth reminding your Lordships that a year ago, the Government proposed the racing right. It was, if one...
More of Viscount Astor’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords in 1966
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Minister (Culture, Media and Sport), Culture, Media & Sport (16 Dec 2005 to 7 Dec 2006)
- Spokespersons In the Lords, The Family & Culture, Media & Sport (20 May 2005 to 16 Dec 2005)
- Spokespersons In the Lords, Shadow Secretary of State for Environment & Transport (9 May 2005 to 20 May 2005)
- Spokespersons In the Lords, Environment and Transport (22 Feb 2005 to 9 May 2005)
- Shadow Minister, Environment and Transport (6 Jul 2004 to 22 Feb 2005)
- Shadow Minister, Environment & Transport (10 May 2004 to 6 Jul 2004)
- Member, Library and Computers Sub Committee (3 Dec 1990 to 22 Oct 1991)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 4 debates in the last year — below average amongst Lords. See all Viscount Astor’s speeches
- Has received answers to 1 written question in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 24.31% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — below average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — average amongst Lords.
- 4 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Viscount Astor’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 322 times in debates — well above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from