A selection of Lord Vallance of Tummel's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted a mixture of for and against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
2 votes for, 1 vote against, 4 absences, in 2011
Has never voted on university tuition fees
Consistently voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, in 2011
Has never voted on raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Show votes
1 vote for, 2 votes against, 12 absences, between 2008–2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Vallance of Tummel’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Vallance of Tummel’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, I declare an interest as the chairman of the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, which as a higher education institution would be directly affected by the amendment if it were agreed. I will not take up much of your Lordships' time, but I feel that I should draw attention to the chaotic practical consequences that the amendment would have on the Scottish universities and other higher...
I am coming to that. For the next academic year and for the years beyond, places have already been offered to and readily accepted by students who are resident south of the border. Bursary and scholarship arrangements have been substantially modified to help them. Indeed, the financial basis and plans of Scottish universities for the years ahead are dependent on those arrangements, which, as...
I share entirely my noble friend Lord Forsyth's willingness and desire to keep the United Kingdom united. We should not discuss here the circumstances of a hypothesis in which we are no longer a United Kingdom. To alter the provisions of the 1998 Act now would outlaw arrangements already in place and would throw into considerable disarray the Scottish universities' administrative and...
More of Lord Vallance of Tummel’s recent appearances
Liberal Democrat Peer
Entered the House of Lords on 8 September 2004
Positions held at time of appointment: Vice-Chairman, Royal Bank of Scotland. (from Number 10 press release)
Currently held offices
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Lords) (since 8 Jun 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, EU Sub Committee A - Economic and Financial Affairs (17 May 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee A - Economic and Financial Affairs, and International Trade (22 Jun 2010 to 16 May 2012)
- Spokesperson for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (8 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Spokesperson in the Lords, Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (4 Jul 2007 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Spokesperson in the Lords, Trade & Industry (1 Jun 2005 to 4 Jul 2007)
- Member, Economic Affairs Committee (29 Nov 2004 to 8 Apr 2010)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 0 debates in the last year — below average amongst Lords. See all Lord Vallance of Tummel’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 21.92% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — below average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — average amongst Lords.
- 6 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Vallance of Tummel’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 14 times in debates — below average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from