A selection of Viscount Thurso's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
44 votes for, 7 votes against, 17 absences, between 2006–2014
Generally voted against university tuition fees Show votes
1 vote for, 8 votes against, 2 absences, between 2004–2012
Almost always voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
4 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2004–2011
Voted a mixture of for and against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
4 votes for, 2 votes against, between 2010–2013
Voted a mixture of for and against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
2 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, between 2003–2012
Almost always voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
11 votes for, 1 vote against, 5 absences, between 2012–2014
We have lots more plain English analysis of Viscount Thurso’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Viscount Thurso’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, further to the answer that the Minister has already given about SMEs, now that we know the risks of a small number of contracts with some very big companies, will he accept that it is the procurement process that drives people to tier 1 contractors? Will the Government look at improving the procurement process so that SMEs have a better chance to get contracts?
My Lords, I have followed the passage of this Bill with great interest but I have not felt the need to intervene. However, today I support my noble friend in this amendment based on two experiences. The first is as a trustee of the Parliamentary Contributory Pension Fund, which, as I am sure many Members know, is a well-run fund and gives a great deal of excellent advice. However, it is...
My Lords, it is always a pleasure to follow the noble Earl, although it has been a little while since I last did so. I add my congratulations to the two maiden speakers, both of whom will add greatly to deliberations in your Lordships’ House and who mostly spoke of their experiences in the City. I feel that they will not entirely approve of what I have to say this evening—but I...
More of Viscount Thurso’s recent appearances
Liberal Democrat Peer
Entered the House of Lords on 20 April 2016
Previously MP for Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross until 30 March 2015 — General election
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Also represented Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Parliamentary Questions
- Departmental ICT
- Civil Servants (Relocation)
- Tax Credits
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Parliamentary Commission on Banking Standards (Joint Committee) (16 Jul 2012 to 12 Jun 2013)
- Member, Draft House of Lords Reform Bill (Joint Committee) (23 Jun 2011 to 26 Mar 2012)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (27 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Finance and Services Committee (27 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 27 Jul 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills (8 Oct 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Treasury Committee (24 Apr 2006 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Administration Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art (11 Jul 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Transport (10 May 2003 to 10 May 2005)
- Member, Culture, Media and Sport Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Scotland) (1 Jul 2001 to 10 Mar 2006)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Culture, Media and Sport) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2005)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 12 debates in the last year — above average amongst Lords. See all Viscount Thurso’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 41.35% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 8 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 33 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Viscount Thurso’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1 time in debates — well below average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
1. Remunerated directorships
Director of International Wine and Spirit Competition Ltd, Building 17, Dunsfold Park, Stovolds Hill, Cranleigh, Surrey, GU6 8TB; organisers annual wine and spirit competition.
Fee of £2,250 received on 24 April 2014
. Hours: 4 hrs. (Registered 24 April 2014)
Fee of £4,500 received on 17 November 2014
. Hours: 11 hrs. (Registered 18 November 2014)
Fee of £2,250 received on 26 March 2015. Hours: 4 hrs. (Registered 26 March 2015)
(a) Name of donor: S W M Threipland
(a) Address of donor: private
(a) Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £5,000
(a) Donor status: individual
(a) Name of donor: Simon Laird
(a) Address of donor: private
(a) Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £2,500
(a) Donor status: individual
(a) (Registered 26 March 2015)
8. Land and Property
Moorland Estate and Hill Farm
in Altnabraec, Caithness.
9. Registrable shareholdings
(a) Ulbster Holdings Ltd, which manages family properties and holds shares in family companies.
(b) Walker Greenbank PLC
, manufacturers of wallpaper and fabric (2% of share capital is owned by Ulbster Holdings Ltd).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from