As a result of COVID-19, some MPs have been less able to vote in Parliament, and this will be reflected in their voting record.
Show more detail
- 11th May to 2nd June 2020
All MPs could vote remotely through an online voting tool. Votes cast remotely are shown as normal on the TheyWorkForYou voting record.
- 2nd to 9th June 2020
The option of online voting was removed, and a number of MPs may have been unable to vote because they were not physically able to attend.
- 10th June 2020 onwards
The requirements on proxy voting were relaxed, allowing MPs to designate another MP to cast a vote on their behalf.
If an MP votes by proxy, it is effectively exactly the same as if they cast the vote in person and it shows up on their TheyWorkForYou voting record.
MPs are not required to designate a proxy, and may instead pair with an opposing MP to miss a vote. Parliament does not record when two MPs have come to a pairing arrangement, so on TheyWorkForYou, they will both appear to have been absent for the vote.
We will update this information if the situation changes. See more detail on votes during the COVID-19 period here.
A selection of Lord Dodds of Duncairn’s votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted a mixture of for and against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
1 vote for, 2 votes against, 9 absences, between 2013–2016.
Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
3 votes for, 4 votes against, 7 absences, between 2003–2016.
Almost always voted against university tuition fees Show votes
1 vote for, 8 votes against, 4 absences, between 2004–2017.
Almost always voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
3 votes for, 15 votes against, 9 absences, between 2010–2019.
Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010.
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
16 votes for, 93 votes against, 36 absences, between 2008–2019.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Dodds of Duncairn’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Dodds of Duncairn’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, issues of sovereignty and democracy lie at the heart of the problems with the Northern Ireland protocol. Does the Minister agree that we may solve some practical issues, and the EU will produce proposals on that later, but unless we do away with the issue of laws being made for part of the United Kingdom in the 21st century without any say—yea or nay—of elected representatives...
To ask Her Majesty's Government what assessment they have made of the (1) support for, and (2) framing of the debate around, terrorists involved in the Troubles in Northern Ireland; and what steps they are taking to work with (a) communities in Northern Ireland, (b) the political representatives of those communities, and (c) representatives of victims of the Troubles, to reduce tensions and...
To ask Her Majesty's Government what discussions they have had with the Northern Ireland Executive about the Subsidy Control Bill and its implications for Northern Ireland under the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland.
More of Lord Dodds of Duncairn’s recent appearances
DUP Peer, Former DUP MLA for Belfast North
Entered the House of Lords on 18 September 2020
Previously MP for Belfast North until 6 November 2019 — Dissolved for election
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
Left the Assembly on 10 September 2010 — Resigned
Also represented Belfast North
Topics of interest
Lord Dodds of Duncairn campaigned to leave the European Union
- Northern Ireland
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Home Department
- Parades Commission
- Fuel Poverty
Currently held offices
- Member, Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland Sub-Committee (since 14 Apr 2021)
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Brexit) (1 Jul 2017 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Reform and Constitutional Issues) (8 May 2015 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Foreign Affairs) (8 May 2015 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Justice) (1 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (1 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- DUP Westminster Leader (6 May 2010 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (9 Nov 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Select Committee) (9 Nov 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (9 Feb 2009 to 18 May 2009)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Without Portfolio) (4 Jun 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Without portfolio (4 Jun 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform) (1 Jun 2007 to 1 Jun 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Justice) (1 Jun 2007 to 1 Jun 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Work and Pensions) (1 Jun 2005 to 1 Jun 2007)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jun 2005 to 1 Jun 2007)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jul 2001 to 1 Jun 2008)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)