Crowdfunder – only a few days to go
We’re trying to raise £25,000 to support TheyWorkForYou into the future.
Please take a minute to donate to TheyWorkForYou so we can bring you voting summaries like this for years to come.
A selection of Lord Touhig's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2008
Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 1 vote against, 9 absences, between 2003–2007
Almost always voted for more EU integration Show votes
42 votes for, 2 votes against, 4 absences, between 2006–2011
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 7 votes against, in 2011
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2007
Generally voted for university tuition fees Show votes
11 votes for, 2 votes against, between 1997–2010
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Touhig’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Touhig’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask Her Majesty's Government how much compensation they have paid out in racial discrimination cases brought against the Ministry of Defence in (1) 2016, (2) 2017, (3) 2018, (4) 2019, and (5) 2020.
To ask Her Majesty's Government how many discrimination cases concerning racism have been brought against the Ministry of Defence by (1) current, and (2) former, employees in each year since 2010.
To ask Her Majesty's Government what percentage of BAME personnel hold senior leadership or managerial roles in (1) the Royal Air Force, (2) the Army, and (3) the Royal Navy.
More of Lord Touhig’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 30 June 2010
Previously MP for Islwyn until 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Entered the House of Commons on 16 February 1995 — unknown
Party was Labour/Co-operative until 11 Apr 2005
Also represented Islwyn
Topics of interest
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Trade and Industry
- Departmental Contracts
- Coal Industry Compensation
- Industrial Diseases: Compensation
- Malaysia: Military Decorations
Currently held offices
- Shadow Spokesperson (Defence) (since 15 Apr 2020)
- Member, Services Committee (since 6 Dec 2018)
Other offices held in the past
- Opposition Whip (Lords) (18 Sep 2015 to 1 Sep 2016)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Defence) (18 Sep 2015 to 17 Oct 2017)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Lords) (4 Jul 2013 to 12 May 2016)
- Member, Public Service and Demographic Change Committee (29 May 2012 to 8 Nov 2012)
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (28 Oct 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (27 Oct 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Liaison Committee (4 Mar 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (3 Mar 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Chairman, Members' Allowances Committee (11 Feb 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (10 Feb 2009 to 11 Feb 2009)
- Chair, Members' Allowances Committee (10 Feb 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (9 Feb 2009 to 10 Feb 2009)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (6 Jun 2006 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (5 Jun 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Armed Forces Bill Committee (20 Dec 2005 to 27 Nov 2008)
- Member, Armed Forces Bill Committee (19 Dec 2005 to 9 May 2006)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Veterans), Ministry of Defence (17 Jun 2005 to 6 Jun 2006)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Ministry of Defence (11 May 2005 to 17 Jun 2005)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Ministry of Defence) (Veterans) (10 May 2005 to 5 May 2006)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Wales), Department for Constitutional Affairs (13 Jun 2003 to 11 May 2005)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Constitutional Affairs) (also in Wales Office) (12 Jun 2003 to 10 May 2005)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Welsh Office (11 Jun 2001 to 13 Jun 2003)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Wales (11 Jun 2001 to 10 May 2005)
- Assistant Whip (17 Nov 1999 to 11 Jun 2001)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (17 Nov 1999 to 7 Jun 2001)
- Member, Welsh Affairs Committee (15 Jan 1996 to 21 Mar 1997)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 55 debates in the last year — well above average amongst Lords. See all Lord Touhig’s speeches
- Has received answers to 280 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 71.33% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — well above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 15 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Touhig’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 176 times in debates — above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Fee of £150 for completing a interview survey for Ipsos Mori, 79-81 Borough Road, London, SE1 1FY on 25 June 2009. Hours: 1 hour. Fee donated to charity. (Registered 13 July 2009)
Fee of £50 for completing a survey for Populus, Northborough House, 10 Northborough Street, London. Hours: 10 minutes. Fee donated to charity. (Registered 16 July 2009).
Received a bottle of wine for acting as compere at the Mynyddislwyn Male Voice Choir on 24 September 2009. Address: Penmaen Chapel, Oakdale. Value: less than £10. Donated £10 to charity. (Registered 25 September 2009)
ComRes, Coveham House, Downside Bridge Road, Cobham, Surrey KT11 3EP.
Fee of £75 for survey completed on 5 November 2009 Hours: 15 mins. Fee donated to charity. (Registered 10 November 2009)
Fee of £75 for survey completed on 3 December 2009. Fee donated to charity. Hours: 20 mins. (Registered 12 January 2010)
Fee of £75 for completing a survey. Fee donated to charity. Hours: 20 mins. (Registered 12 February 2010)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from