Crowdfunder – only a few days to go
We’re trying to raise £25,000 to support TheyWorkForYou into the future.
Please take a minute to donate to TheyWorkForYou so we can bring you voting summaries like this for years to come.
A selection of Lord Moonie's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for university tuition fees Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, 8 absences, between 2004–2010
Has never voted on raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year
Almost always voted for more EU integration Show votes
12 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 2008–2011
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
5 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, between 1999–2003
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, 1 absence, in 2011
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, 3 absences, in 2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Moonie’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Moonie’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask Her Majesty's Government what plans they have to reform the ombudsman system.
Her Majesty's Government, further to the announcement by the Secretary of State for Defence on 23 November 2018 that HMS Tyne, HMS Mersey and HMS Severn will forward-operate from their namesake rivers, what progress has been made towards the implementation of that announcement.
To ask Her Majesty's Government what plans they have for the military Mark 4 Chinook helicopters that are currently held in store.
More of Lord Moonie’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 5 July 2005
Previously MP for Kirkcaldy until 11 April 2005 — did not stand for re-election
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Party was Labour/Co-operative until 11 Apr 2005
Also represented Kirkcaldy
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Economic Affairs Committee (13 Nov 2007 to 1 May 2012)
- Member, Committee on Regulators (23 Nov 2006 to 30 Oct 2007)
- Chairman, Draft Civil Contingencies Bill (Joint Committee) (28 May 2004 to 11 Jun 2004)
- Chair, Draft Civil Contingencies Bill (Joint Committee) (17 Jul 2003 to 28 Nov 2003)
- Member, Draft Civil Contingencies Bill (Joint Committee) (10 Jul 2003 to 17 Jul 2003)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Ministry of Defence (31 Jan 2000 to 13 Jun 2003)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Ministry of Defence) (Veterans) (29 Jan 2000 to 12 Jun 2003)
- Member, Treasury Committee (9 Nov 1998 to 21 Feb 2000)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (2 Dec 1997 to 6 Apr 2000)
- Chair, Finance and Services Committee (14 Nov 1997 to 22 Feb 2000)
- Member, Treasury & Civil Service Sub-Committee (22 Mar 1989 to 16 Mar 1992)
- Member, Treasury & Civil Service Committee (20 Mar 1989 to 19 Dec 1989)
- Member, Social Services Committee (22 Nov 1988 to 20 Mar 1989)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 11 Apr 2005.
1. Remunerated directorships
Mining (Scotland) Ltd (non-executive) (£10,001-£15,000)
(non-executive); high technology services and manufacturing. (£25,001-£30,000)
Associate Director, Sovereign Strategy; strategic advice and public relations. (£10,001-£15,000)
8. Land and Property
My London residence is shared with another Member who pays a proportion of the costs.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from