A selection of Lord Maples's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, in 2011
Voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2008
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
3 votes for, 8 votes against, 2 absences, between 1998–2010
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2007
Consistently voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2011
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
2 votes for, 34 votes against, 12 absences, between 2008–2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Maples’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Maples’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, consumer price inflation is only one measure of inflation. May I suggest that if in the run-up to the crash the Monetary Policy Committee had been looking at asset price inflation-
More of Lord Maples’s recent appearances
Former Conservative Peer
Entered the House of Lords on 24 June 2010
Previously MP for Stratford-on-Avon until 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Left the House of Lords on 9 June 2012 — Died
Entered the House of Commons on 9 June 1983 — General election
Also represented Stratford-on-Avon; Lewisham West
Topics of interest
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Home Department
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Departmental Staff
- Civil Service Travel
- Parliamentary Questions
- Defence Fire Service
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Draft Financial Services Bill (Joint Committee) (20 Jul 2011 to 13 Dec 2011)
- Deputy Chairman (Candidates), The Conservative Party (4 Jun 2008 to 19 Jan 2009)
- Deputy Chairman (Candidates), Conservative Party (8 Nov 2006 to 6 Jul 2007)
- Deputy Chair, Conservative Party (1 Jul 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 29 Nov 2006)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (13 Nov 2000 to 27 Nov 2006)
- Shadow Secretary of State (15 Jun 1999 to 2 Feb 2000)
- Shadow Secretary of State (2 Jun 1998 to 15 Jun 1999)
- Shadow Secretary of State (11 Jun 1997 to 2 Jun 1998)
- Deputy Chair, Conservative Party (1 Jul 1994 to 1 Jul 1995)
- The Economic Secretary to the Treasury (28 Nov 1990 to 13 Apr 1992)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 0 debates in the last year — below average amongst Lords. See all Lord Maples’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 62.08% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — above average amongst Lords.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 53 people are tracking this peer
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 11 times in debates — below average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
1. Remunerated directorships
Agatha Christie Limited, 81 Aldwych, London WC2B 4HN (non-executive); ownership of literary copyrights. Paid quarterly on 24 March, June, September, December. £2250 per quarter after tax (£3750 pre tax). The Board meets 6 times a year. In addition there are two finance committee meetings each year and one AGM
. There are also occasional telephone calls. Meetings usually last about three hours and involve two hours of preparation.
Value Retail PLC
, 50 Pringle Drive, Bicester OX26 6WD (non-executive); owner of shopping malls in the UK
and Europe. Paid monthly on the 15<SUP
>th of each month, £1200 per month after tax (£2000 pre tax). The Board meets 3 times a year. In addition there are two Finance Committee
meetings. Meetings usually last about three hours and involve two hours of preparation. There are also monthly conference calls lasting about 1 hour. Once a year I will visit one of the malls, which takes a day.
£75 from British Polling Research group for market research survey. Address: 24 - 28 Bloomsbury Way, London WC1A 2PX. Hours: 30 minutes. (Registered 14 September 2009
£75 from Communications Research for market research survey. Address: Four Millbank, London SW1P 3JA. Hours: 30 minutes. (Registered 14 September 2009)
9. Registrable shareholdings
(b) Autospan Ltd; developer of variable speed road humps. (I am an unremunerated director of Autospan Ltd and also of its wholly owned subsidiary, Dunlop Transcalm Ltd.)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from