A selection of Lord McAvoy's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 3 votes against, in 2011
Generally voted against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
3 votes for, 8 votes against, between 2003–2007
Almost always voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
6 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, between 1999–2007
Consistently voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Consistently voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2008
Almost always voted for more EU integration Show votes
46 votes for, 2 votes against, between 2006–2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord McAvoy’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord McAvoy’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, I thank the Minister for the many positive strands in his response and beg leave to withdraw the Motion. Motion withdrawn.
My Lords, I am moving this Motion to express the loyal Opposition’s regret that the Government have pushed through an ill-thought-through and detrimental policy without proper consideration of the specific context of law in Northern Ireland or of the women and professionals who will be affected by this policy. The regulations provide for exemptions to be introduced in Northern Ireland...
More of Lord McAvoy’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 22 June 2010
Previously MP for Rutherglen and Hamilton West until 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Party was Labour/Co-operative until 11 Apr 2005
Also represented Rutherglen and Hamilton West; Glasgow Rutherglen
Currently held offices
- Opposition Deputy Chief Whip (Lords) (since 28 May 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Northern Ireland) (since 6 Sep 2012)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Scotland) (since 6 Sep 2012)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Partnerships (Prosecution) (Scotland) Bill Special Public Bill Committee (22 Jan 2013 to 13 Feb 2013)
- Member, Administration and Works Committee (Lords) (26 Jun 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Opposition Whip (Lords) (13 Oct 2010 to 28 May 2015)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (10 Feb 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (9 Feb 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Administration Committee (28 Oct 2008 to 10 Feb 2009)
- Member, Administration Committee (27 Oct 2008 to 9 Feb 2009)
- Member, Selection Committee (9 Oct 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Committee of Selection (8 Oct 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Deputy Chief Whip (6 Oct 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- The Treasurer of Her Majesty's Household (5 Oct 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Finance & Services Committee (20 Jul 2005 to 10 Feb 2009)
- Member, Finance & Services Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (14 Nov 1997 to 9 Feb 2009)
- Comptroller (HM Household) (Deputy Chief Whip, House of Commons) (8 May 1997 to 5 Oct 2008)
- Government Whip (6 May 1997 to 6 Oct 2008)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (12 Dec 1994 to 11 Nov 1996)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 114 debates in the last year — well above average amongst Lords. See all Lord McAvoy’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 89.81% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — well above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — average amongst Lords.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 33 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord McAvoy’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 149 times in debates — above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
8. Land and Property
Land in Cambuslang on which County Inn is situated.
Residential flat in London, from which rental income is received.
9. Registrable shareholdings
(a) County Pub Company Ltd, of which I am a director receiving no separate remuneration.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from