A selection of Lord McAvoy's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2007
Generally voted against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
3 votes for, 8 votes against, between 2003–2007
Almost always voted for more EU integration Show votes
46 votes for, 2 votes against, between 2006–2011
Almost always voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
6 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, between 1999–2007
Voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2008
Voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2004–2010
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord McAvoy’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord McAvoy’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, this may come as some surprise to my noble friend: I think the basis on which he is approaching this has some merit, but with the threat still there it is essential that we carry on until things become clearer. In that respect, we are looking for more consultation and response from the Government about the mechanics of how they will handle things; they will get support for process...
I expect a full reply.
My Lords, at great risk to my reputation as Opposition Chief Whip, I have a certain amount of sympathy with the Government Chief Whip over the situation that he faces, but perhaps I may qualify that a bit. I think that the statement today could, and should, have been made earlier. I can fully understand the disappointment and frustration about this situation felt by my noble friend Lord...
More of Lord McAvoy’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 22 June 2010
Previously MP for Rutherglen and Hamilton West until 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Party was Labour/Co-operative until 11 Apr 2005
Also represented Rutherglen and Hamilton West; Glasgow Rutherglen
Currently held offices
- Deputy Speaker (Lords) (since 5 Mar 2018)
- Member, Committee for Privileges and Conduct (Lords) (since 1 Feb 2018)
- Member, Procedure Committee (Lords) (since 1 Feb 2018)
- Member, Committee of Selection (Lords) (since 1 Feb 2018)
- Deputy Chairman of Committees (since 1 Feb 2018)
- Shadow Chief Whip (Lords) (since 24 Jan 2018)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Services Committee (1 Feb 2018 to 6 Dec 2018)
- Opposition Deputy Chief Whip (Lords) (28 May 2015 to 24 Jan 2018)
- Member, Partnerships (Prosecution) (Scotland) Bill Special Public Bill Committee (22 Jan 2013 to 13 Feb 2013)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Northern Ireland) (6 Sep 2012 to 24 Jan 2018)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Scotland) (6 Sep 2012 to 24 Jan 2018)
- Member, Administration and Works Committee (Lords) (26 Jun 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Opposition Whip (Lords) (13 Oct 2010 to 28 May 2015)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (10 Feb 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (9 Feb 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Administration Committee (28 Oct 2008 to 10 Feb 2009)
- Member, Administration Committee (27 Oct 2008 to 9 Feb 2009)
- Member, Selection Committee (9 Oct 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Committee of Selection (8 Oct 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Deputy Chief Whip (6 Oct 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- The Treasurer of Her Majesty's Household (5 Oct 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Finance & Services Committee (20 Jul 2005 to 10 Feb 2009)
- Member, Finance & Services Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (14 Nov 1997 to 9 Feb 2009)
- Comptroller (HM Household) (Deputy Chief Whip, House of Commons) (8 May 1997 to 5 Oct 2008)
- Government Whip (6 May 1997 to 6 Oct 2008)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (12 Dec 1994 to 11 Nov 1996)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 42 debates in the last year — well above average amongst Lords. See all Lord McAvoy’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 89.18% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — well above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 31 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord McAvoy’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 154 times in debates — above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
8. Land and Property
Land in Cambuslang on which County Inn is situated.
Residential flat in London, from which rental income is received.
9. Registrable shareholdings
(a) County Pub Company Ltd, of which I am a director receiving no separate remuneration.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from