A selection of Lord Kirkwood of Kirkhope's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Has never voted on raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Show votes
7 votes for, 6 votes against, 2 absences, between 2006–2011
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, 4 absences, between 1999–2003
Consistently voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
7 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2011
Generally voted against university tuition fees Show votes
0 votes for, 8 votes against, 5 absences, between 1997–2010
Consistently voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Kirkwood of Kirkhope’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Kirkwood of Kirkhope’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, it is a pleasure to follow the noble Lord, Lord Beecham, who brings a wealth of valuable experience from his local government work. I am very grateful to the right reverend Prelate for this debate. It is something I was trying to get on the agenda myself, as it meets my intrinsic need to replace the now-gone annual uprating debates that we used to have on social security. I held the...
My Lords, I add my congratulations to the noble Baroness, Lady Hollis. No one has done more in this important field of public policy over the years than she has. At the same time as we are discussing this important subject in the House of Lords, the House of Commons is discussing exactly the same topic. If ever there was any doubt about the importance of the subject, the conjunction of these...
My Lords, I am very happy with that undertaking. I hope that the dialogue can continue and I beg leave to withdraw the amendment. Amendment 40 withdrawn.
More of Lord Kirkwood of Kirkhope’s recent appearances
Liberal Democrat Peer
Entered the House of Lords on 14 June 2005
Previously MP for Roxburgh and Berwickshire until 11 April 2005 — did not stand for re-election
Positions held at time of appointment: Member of Parliament for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, 1983-2005. Liberal Democrat convenor and spokesman on welfare, 1988-1992; on social security, 1992-1994 and from 1997-2001; on community care, 1994-1997; Liberal Democrat Chief Whip, 1992-1997. (from Number 10 press release)
Entered the House of Commons on 9 June 1983 — General election
Also represented Roxburgh and Berwickshire
Currently held offices
- Member, Secondary Legislation Scrutiny Committee (since 27 Jun 2017)
- Member, Services Committee (since 1 Sep 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Financial Exclusion Committee (25 May 2016 to 25 Mar 2017)
- Member, Digital Skills Committee (12 Jun 2014 to 4 Feb 2015)
- Chair, Information Committee (Lords) (22 Jun 2010 to 14 May 2014)
- Member, Information Committee (Lords) (25 Nov 2009 to 22 Jun 2010)
- Spokesperson for Work and Pensions (8 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee G - Social Policies and Consumer Protection (13 Nov 2007 to 17 Oct 2011)
- Spokesperson in the Lords, Work & Pensions (27 Jul 2007 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Member, Court of Referees Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Liaison Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Chairman, Work and Pensions Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Chair, Work and Pensions Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Chair, Social Security Committee (14 Jul 1997 to 11 May 2001)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (27 Apr 1992 to 5 May 2005)
- Member, Committee of Selection (27 Apr 1992 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Liberal Democrat Chief Whip (1 Jan 1992 to 31 Dec 1997)
- Member, Court of Referees (17 Jun 1987 to 5 May 2005)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 11 Apr 2005.
10. Miscellaneous and unremunerated interests
Unremunerated Chairman of the trustees of Joseph Rowntree Social Service Charitable Trust (JRSS
Unremunerated Chairman and director of the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust Limited (JRRT
Limited); who meet occasional costs incurred as Chairman of the Work and Pensions Select Committee in providing hospitality to guests and witnesses not otherwise met by House rules on expenses.
Member, Royal College of Nursing Parliamentary Panel (no remuneration).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from