A selection of Lord King of Bridgwater's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2011
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 1997–2010
Consistently voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
7 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2011
Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2010
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
1 vote for, 10 votes against, 4 absences, between 2008–2011
Generally voted against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, 1 absence, in 1999
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord King of Bridgwater’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord King of Bridgwater’s full vote analysis page for more.
While the Minister is absolutely right that we must act in full conjunction with the European Union, there is no question but that we have a very special relationship—in whatever way that is described—with the United States. Although the noble Lord, Lord Campbell, has said that we cannot possibly trust the President of the United States, he is the President and it is very...
I strongly welcome this Statement. The Prime Minister has been under considerable criticism in recent days for not coming out much earlier with condemnation and an accusation of where this offence has come from. She is absolutely right to say that it must be fully investigated, and this Statement today makes clear the amount of work that has been done to establish what the origin of this...
Does my noble friend agree that in the modernisation programme it is extremely important that close attention is paid to recruitment? Will he confirm that that is being given high priority in the work that is being attended to at the moment?
More of Lord King of Bridgwater’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 17 October 2001
Previously MP for Bridgwater until 14 May 2001 — General election
Positions held at time of appointment: Member of Parliament for Bridgewater, 1970-2001. Secretary of State for the Environment, 1983; for Transport, 1983; for Employment, 1983-85; for Northern Ireland, 1985-89, for Defence, 1989-92. (from Number 10 press release)
Entered the House of Commons on 12 March 1970 — unknown
Also represented Bridgwater
Currently held offices
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (since 6 Nov 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Inquiries Act 2005 Committee (16 May 2013 to 26 Feb 2014)
- Member, Draft Enhanced Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures Bill (Joint Committee) (3 Jul 2012 to 21 Nov 2012)
- Member, Communications Committee (23 Apr 2007 to 8 Apr 2010)
- Member, BBC Charter Review Committee (24 May 2005 to 8 Nov 2006)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee C - Foreign Affairs, Defence and Development Policy (8 Dec 2003 to 8 Nov 2006)
- Member, Draft Civil Contingencies Bill (Joint Committee) (11 Jul 2003 to 28 Nov 2003)
- Chair, Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliament (1 Jul 1994 to 1 Jul 2001)
- The Secretary of State for Defence (28 Jul 1989 to 9 Apr 1992)
- The Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (3 Sep 1985 to 23 Jul 1989)
- Secretary of State for Employment (16 Oct 1983 to 1 Sep 1985)
- The Secretary of State for Transport (11 Jun 1983 to 16 Oct 1983)
- Secretary of State for Environment (6 Jan 1983 to 10 Jun 1983)
- Minister of State (Department of Environment) (Local Government) (6 May 1979 to 5 Jan 1983)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 14 May 2001.
1. Remunerated directorships
Electra Investment Trust PLC
Non-executive Chairman, London International Exhibition Centre Holdings Ltd.
Non-executive Chairman, London International Exhibition Centre Ltd.
6. Overseas visits
24-26 February 2001
, to Kuwait, as the guest of the Kuwaiti Government, to join in the celebrations in connection with the 10th Anniversary of their liberation from Iraq. (Registered 5 April 2001)
8. Land and Property
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from