Crowdfunder – only a few days to go
We’re trying to raise £25,000 to support TheyWorkForYou into the future.
Please take a minute to donate to TheyWorkForYou so we can bring you voting summaries like this for years to come.
A selection of Lord Jones's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 7 votes against, in 2011
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
13 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, between 2008–2011
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 3 votes against, in 2011
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
4 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, in 1999
Generally voted against university tuition fees Show votes
1 vote for, 1 vote against, 3 absences, between 1997–2010
Has never voted on raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Jones’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Jones’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask Her Majesty's Government what plans they have to ensure cross-border rail routes benefit from the Government's investment in HS2.
To ask Her Majesty's Government when they estimate that HS2 will reach and serve Crewe.
To ask Her Majesty's Government what plans they have to enhance the teaching of foreign languages in England.
More of Lord Jones’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 19 July 2001
Previously MP for Alyn and Deeside until 14 May 2001 — General election
Positions held at time of appointment: Member of Parliament for Alyn and Deeside, 1983-2001 and for Flint East, 1970-83. Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Wales, 1974-79; Opposition spokesman on employment, 1980-83; Opposition spokesman on Wales, 1983-92. (from Number 10 press release)
Entered the House of Commons on 18 June 1970 — General election
Also represented Alyn and Deeside; Flint East; Flintshire East
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Delegated Powers and Regulatory Reform Committee (8 Jun 2015 to 1 Jul 2019)
- Member, Extradition Law Committee (12 Jun 2014 to 25 Feb 2015)
- Member, Inheritance and Trustees’ Powers Bill [HL] Committee (28 Oct 2013 to 16 Dec 2013)
- Member, Draft Communications Data Bill (Joint Committee) (28 Jun 2012 to 28 Nov 2012)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee C - Foreign Affairs, Defence and Development Policy (13 Nov 2007 to 15 May 2012)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee A - Economic and Financial Affairs, and International Trade (26 Nov 2003 to 8 Nov 2006)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee A (13 Nov 2002 to 20 Nov 2003)
- Shadow Secretary of State (1 Jul 1988 to 9 Apr 1992)
- Shadow Secretary of State (11 Jun 1983 to 11 Jun 1987)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (3 May 1979 to 15 Nov 1982)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Welsh Office) (7 Mar 1974 to 4 May 1979)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 14 May 2001.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Member of Political Opinion Panel of BPRI. (£1-£1,000). Payments given to local charities.
Member of Harris Parliamentary Panel. (£1-£1,000). Payments given to local organisations.
5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK
18 October 2000, my wife and were guests of BAe Systems at the Opera House, Covent Garden. (Registered 19 October 2000)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from