Entered the House of Lords on 9 November 2015
Previously MP for Sleaford and North Hykeham until 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Entered the House of Commons on 3 May 1979 — General election
Also represented Sleaford and North Hykeham; Grantham
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Deputy Prime Minister
- House of Commons Commission
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Local Government Finance
- Caythorpe Court
- Pilgrim Hospital
- Boston (Neurology Waiting Times)
- Special Immigration Appeals Commission
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Justice Committee (21 Apr 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Justice Committee (20 Apr 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (16 Jul 1997 to 2 Mar 1998)
- Secretary of State for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (5 Jul 1995 to 1 May 1997)
- Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (2 Nov 1990 to 5 Jul 1995)
- Minister of State (Department of Trade and Industry) (24 Jul 1989 to 1 Nov 1990)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department (10 Sep 1986 to 26 Jul 1989)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (22 Feb 1983 to 10 Oct 1984)
- Member, Agriculture Committee (3 May 1979 to 24 May 1982)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc.
Barrister in current practice.
Fee of £5,419.08 inclusive of VAT
, from Legal Aid
in capacity as a barrister. Hours worked: 38½. (Registered 14 July 2009)
Fee of £7,771.13 inclusive of VAT, from Legal Aid in capacity as a barrister, in respect of work done mainly in 2008 and March 2009. Hours worked: 105½ (Registered 24 September 2009)
Fee of £8,555.33 inclusive of VAT, from Legal Aid in capacity as a barrister, in respect of 55 hours work on a case. (Registered 13 October 2009)
5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK
Address of donor : private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: hospitality at the Carlton Club Political Dinner, London, value £1700
Date of receipt of donation: 22 September 2009
Date of acceptance of donation: 22 September 2009
Donor status: individual
(Registered 22 October 2009)
8. Land and Property
I am the owner of three properties in London which I have let to tenants.
50 acres of agricultural land in Lincolnshire.
9. Registrable shareholdings
(b) Foreign and Colonial.
(b) Henderson TR
Pacific Investment Trust.
(b) Foreign and Colonial Eurotrust Investment Trust.
(b) Fidelity Special Values Investment Trust.
(b) Henderson Far East Income
(b) Hansa A Investment Trust
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register