Crowdfunder – only a few days to go
We’re trying to raise £25,000 to support TheyWorkForYou into the future.
Please take a minute to donate to TheyWorkForYou so we can bring you voting summaries like this for years to come.
A selection of Lord Haselhurst's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
11 votes for, 0 votes against, 6 absences, between 2012–2014
Almost always voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
6 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, between 2010–2016
Consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
0 votes for, 14 votes against, 1 absence, between 2011–2016
Almost always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
49 votes for, 0 votes against, 5 absences, between 2012–2016
Generally voted for reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
4 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, between 2010–2017
Generally voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
1 vote for, 2 votes against, 3 absences, between 2010–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Haselhurst’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Haselhurst’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, as the completion of the HS2 project will lead to a dramatic slashing of journey times between Manchester, Birmingham and London, does the Minister agree that it would be sensible, at this stage, to make more effort to promote Manchester Airport and Birmingham Airport as points of entry into this country, attractive to all categories of visitor? This would take some of the pressure...
My Lords, as the security threat shows no sign of diminishing, can the Senior Deputy Speaker assure us that every care will be taken in arrangements for the safety of Members of both Houses when we are physically separated in the way proposed? Safe access at all times needs to be a priority.
My Lords, I declare an interest as someone who lives in a very rural area and who is familiar with the many deficiencies that have been described already. It is hard to describe today’s Statement as unhelpful or unwelcome. However, when I hear my noble friend refer to the fact that the big four will be encouraged to subcontract or delegate some of the work to assist the coverage, I am...
More of Lord Haselhurst’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 22 June 2018
Previously MP for Saffron Walden until 3 May 2017 — Dissolved for election
Entered the House of Commons on 18 June 1970 — General election
Party was Deputy Speaker until 11 Apr 2005; Conservative until 16 May 2005; Deputy Speaker until 12 Apr 2010
Also represented Saffron Walden; Middleton and Prestwich
Topics of interest
Lord Haselhurst campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Department for Business
- Innovation and Skills
- Department for Transport
- Leader of the House
- Overseas Students: Scholarships
- Stansted Airport
- London Airports: Night Flying
- London Airports: Passengers
Currently held offices
- Member, High Speed Rail (West Midlands - Crewe) Bill Select Committee (Lords) (since 30 Oct 2019)
- Member, Delegated Powers and Regulatory Reform Committee (since 1 Jul 2019)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, EU Home Affairs Sub-Committee (16 Oct 2018 to 2 Jul 2019)
- Member, Finance Committee (Commons) (20 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art (18 Nov 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (26 Oct 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (27 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Administration Committee (27 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Administration Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 27 Jul 2010)
- Deputy Speaker (25 May 2010 to 8 Jun 2010)
- Deputy Speaker and Chairman of Ways and Means (25 May 2010 to 8 Jun 2010)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (25 Mar 2008 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Deputy Speaker and Chairman of Ways and Means (1 May 1997 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, European Legislation Sub-Committee on Roads Safety Competence (18 Nov 1993 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (29 Jun 1992 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Member, Transport Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Member, European Legislation Committee (28 May 1982 to 21 Mar 1997)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 221 debates in the last year — well above average amongst Lords. See all Lord Haselhurst’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 66.67% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 39 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Haselhurst’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 17 times in debates — below average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 May 2017.
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: LPA
Address of donor: Light & Power House, Shire Hill, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB11 3AQ
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: ticket and hospitality for Test Match
at the Oval on 13 August 2016; estimated value £300-£400
Date received: 13 August 2016
Date accepted: 13 August 2016
Donor status: company, registration no 686429
(Registered 17 August 2016)
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
10. Family members engaged in lobbying the public sector on behalf of a third party or client
My daughter Emma Haselhurst (Mrs. G. Collins) is a Director of Blue Rubicon Ltd. (Registered 03 June 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from