A selection of Lord Hamilton of Epsom's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for university tuition fees Show votes
2 votes for, 2 votes against, 1 absence, between 1997–2010
Consistently voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, in 2011
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
1 vote for, 9 votes against, 5 absences, between 2008–2011
Consistently voted against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, 1 absence, in 1999
Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2010
Almost always voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
6 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, in 2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Hamilton of Epsom’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Hamilton of Epsom’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, is not the example of Germany, given by the noble Lord, Lord Blunkett, very relevant? Despite the billions spent by the West Germans on East Germany, it is largely emptied of business and people.
My Lords, to come back on the remarks from the noble Lord, Lord Grocott, I hope we have learned a few lessons from the other place. It is possible to hear much too much from the Speaker, as well as too little.
Does my noble friend think that the vote on Thursday 23rd for the European Parliament will very much suffice for a second referendum?
More of Lord Hamilton of Epsom’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 28 June 2005
Previously MP for Epsom and Ewell until 14 May 2001 — General election
Positions held at time of appointment: Member of Parliament for Epsom and Ewell, 1978-2001. Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence Procurement, 1986-1987; Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Prime Minister, 1987-1988; Minister of State for the Armed Forces, 1988-1993. (from Number 10 press release)
Entered the House of Commons on 27 April 1978 — unknown
Also represented Epsom and Ewell
Currently held offices
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (since 6 Nov 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (3 Dec 2015 to 27 Apr 2017)
- Member, EU Sub Committee A - Economic and Financial Affairs (17 May 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee A - Economic and Financial Affairs, and International Trade (22 Jun 2010 to 16 May 2012)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee C - Foreign Affairs, Defence and Development Policy (21 Nov 2006 to 8 Apr 2010)
- Chair, Conservative Party 1922 Committee (1 May 1997 to 7 Jun 2001)
- Member, Standards and Privileges Committee (24 Oct 1996 to 4 Mar 1997)
- Member, Members' Interests Committee (17 Jul 1995 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, Standards in Public Life Committee (16 Nov 1994 to 8 Nov 1995)
- The Minister of State, Ministry of Defence (25 Jul 1988 to 26 May 1993)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Ministry of Defence) (Procurement) (10 Sep 1986 to 12 Jun 1987)
- Government Whip (3 Oct 1984 to 10 Sep 1986)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (11 May 1982 to 3 Oct 1984)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 14 May 2001.
1. Remunerated directorships
Leafield Engineering Limited (LEL
Jupiter Dividend and Growth Trust PLC
JDGT Securities Ltd.; a subsidiary of Jupiter Dividend and Growth Trust (unremunerated).
The Jupiter Global Fund.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession, etc.
Consultant to W.S. Atkins Ltd., Epsom, Surrey
; engineering consultants. (£5,001-£10,000)
Consultant to Litton Industries Inc.; United States manufacturers of defence equipment, fine chemicals and vehicle sealing.
Consultant to GenCorp Aerojet; United States defence manufacturers.
Member of Lloyd's. (Resigned end 1994.)
Categories of business underwritten: All.
Occasional fees for journalism.
8. Land and Property
Bramley Park Farm, Guildford, Surrey.
I own one residential rented property in Westminster.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from