As a result of COVID-19, some MPs have been less able to vote in Parliament, and this will be reflected in their voting record.
Show more detail
- 11th May to 2nd June 2020
All MPs could vote remotely through an online voting tool. Votes cast remotely are shown as normal on the TheyWorkForYou voting record.
- 2nd to 9th June 2020
The option of online voting was removed, and a number of MPs may have been unable to vote because they were not physically able to attend.
- 10th June 2020 onwards
The requirements on proxy voting were relaxed, allowing MPs to designate another MP to cast a vote on their behalf.
If an MP votes by proxy, it is effectively exactly the same as if they cast the vote in person and it shows up on their TheyWorkForYou voting record.
MPs are not required to designate a proxy, and may instead pair with an opposing MP to miss a vote. Parliament does not record when two MPs have come to a pairing arrangement, so on TheyWorkForYou, they will both appear to have been absent for the vote.
We will update this information if the situation changes. See more detail on votes during the COVID-19 period here.
A selection of Lord Davies of Stamford's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, 2 absences, in 2011
Has never voted on replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system
Consistently voted against university tuition fees Show votes
1 vote for, 10 votes against, 2 absences, between 1997–2010
Has never voted on increasing the rate of VAT
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, 1 absence, in 2011
Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
7 votes for, 4 votes against, between 2003–2007
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Davies of Stamford’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Davies of Stamford’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, the first thing that we need to do in a situation of this kind is to make sure that we do not deceive ourselves about the reality that we face. This recession will be twice as deep as the one in 2008-09, which followed the collapse of Lehman Brothers, and I think that it will go on for a great deal longer, quite simply because a high proportion of our fellow citizens have lost...
My Lords, in the course of the Government’s efforts to mitigate the collapse of demand in the economy with their furloughing system and so forth, which I thoroughly approve of, they are accumulating a lot of debt. Before this crisis, we were fast approaching a level of public debt at 90% of GDP, which is unprecedentedly high. At the time of the collapse of Lehman Brothers 12 years ago, by...
Is it not the case that what is really alarming here is that the collapse of consumer demand is likely to last for a very long time and that there is going to be a substantial negative-wealth effect, given that people will have been out of jobs while their businesses and indeed the stock market has collapsed? People will require years to build up their savings again to where they were before....
More of Lord Davies of Stamford’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 8 July 2010
Previously MP for Grantham and Stamford until 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Party was Conservative until 26 Jun 2007
Also represented Grantham and Stamford; Stamford and Spalding
Topics of interest
- Northern Ireland
- Home Department
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Immigration Controls: Eurostar
- Scheduled Offences
- Iran: Nuclear Power
Currently held offices
- Member, EU Services Sub-Committee (since 23 Apr 2020)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, EU External Affairs Sub-Committee (2 Jul 2019 to 23 Apr 2020)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (25 May 2016 to 29 Jun 2016)
- Member, Licensing Act 2003 Committee (25 May 2016 to 4 Apr 2017)
- Member, EU Financial Affairs Sub-Committee (12 Jun 2015 to 12 May 2016)
- Member, European Union Committee (11 Jun 2015 to 12 May 2016)
- Member, EU Sub Committee A - Economic and Financial Affairs (21 May 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Parliamentary Privilege (Joint Committee) (9 Jan 2013 to 18 Jun 2013)
- Member, Trusts (Capital and Income) Bill [HL] Special Public Bill Committee (19 Jun 2012 to 24 Jul 2012)
- Member, Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Bill [HL] Committee (5 Sep 2011 to 1 Dec 2011)
- Member, Draft Detention of Terrorist Suspects (Temporary Extension) Bills (Joint Committee) (17 Mar 2011 to 14 Jun 2011)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Ministry of Defence (6 Oct 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Ministry of Defence) (Defence Equipment and Support) (5 Oct 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (14 Nov 2007 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (12 Nov 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Tax Law Rewrite Bills (Joint Committee) (9 Nov 2007 to 12 Jan 2009)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (7 Nov 2007 to 9 Nov 2007)
- Member, Tax Law Rewrite Bills (Joint Committee) (7 Nov 2007 to 13 Jan 2009)
- Member, International Development Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 20 Nov 2007)
- Member, International Development Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, International Development Committee (17 Nov 2003 to 19 Nov 2007)
- Shadow Secretary of State (18 Sep 2001 to 6 Nov 2003)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (18 Sep 2001 to 6 Nov 2003)
- Member, European Scrutiny Committee (17 Nov 1998 to 11 Jan 1999)
- Member, Treasury Sub-Committee (14 May 1998 to 15 Jun 1998)
- Member, European Legislation Committee (22 Jul 1997 to 17 Nov 1998)
- Member, Standards and Privileges Committee (23 Oct 1996 to 22 Jun 1998)
- Member, Treasury Committee (15 Nov 1995 to 15 Jun 1998)
- Member, Members' Interests Committee (11 Jul 1995 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, Standards in Public Life Committee (16 Nov 1994 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, Treasury & Civil Service Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, Treasury & Civil Service Sub-Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 8 Nov 1995)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from