A selection of Lord Davies of Stamford's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Has never voted on replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, 1 absence, in 2011
Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
7 votes for, 4 votes against, between 2003–2007
Generally voted against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 5 votes against, 2 absences, between 1999–2007
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, 2 absences, in 2011
Has never voted on increasing the rate of VAT
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Davies of Stamford’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Davies of Stamford’s full vote analysis page for more.
I am grateful to the noble Lord for giving way. Would he not agree that in trade negotiations, the leverage of one side or another is a function of the proportion of the GDP of that party which is exposed to trade with the other country in question? I am sure the noble Lord is very well informed on these matters and knows that, in the case of the British relationship with the other 27 members...
My Lords, it was a privilege to serve on the committee. I greatly enjoyed the experience and found it very instructive, and there was a very good and productive relationship among the members of the committee. All of that was made possible, largely, by the extremely sympathetic but also efficient way in which the noble Baroness, Lady McIntosh, presided over our activities. The subject is not...
More of Lord Davies of Stamford’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 8 July 2010
Previously MP for Grantham and Stamford until 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Party was Conservative until 26 Jun 2007
Also represented Grantham and Stamford; Stamford and Spalding
Topics of interest
- Northern Ireland
- Home Department
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Immigration Controls: Eurostar
- Scheduled Offences
- Iran: Nuclear Power
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (25 May 2016 to 29 Jun 2016)
- Member, Licensing Act 2003 Committee (25 May 2016 to 4 Apr 2017)
- Member, EU Financial Affairs Sub-Committee (12 Jun 2015 to 12 May 2016)
- Member, European Union Committee (11 Jun 2015 to 12 May 2016)
- Member, EU Sub Committee A - Economic and Financial Affairs (21 May 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Parliamentary Privilege (Joint Committee) (9 Jan 2013 to 18 Jun 2013)
- Member, Trusts (Capital and Income) Bill [HL] Special Public Bill Committee (19 Jun 2012 to 24 Jul 2012)
- Member, Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Bill [HL] Committee (5 Sep 2011 to 1 Dec 2011)
- Member, Draft Detention of Terrorist Suspects (Temporary Extension) Bills (Joint Committee) (17 Mar 2011 to 14 Jun 2011)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Ministry of Defence (6 Oct 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Ministry of Defence) (Defence Equipment and Support) (5 Oct 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (14 Nov 2007 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (12 Nov 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Tax Law Rewrite Bills (Joint Committee) (9 Nov 2007 to 12 Jan 2009)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (7 Nov 2007 to 9 Nov 2007)
- Member, Tax Law Rewrite Bills (Joint Committee) (7 Nov 2007 to 13 Jan 2009)
- Member, International Development Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 20 Nov 2007)
- Member, International Development Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, International Development Committee (17 Nov 2003 to 19 Nov 2007)
- Shadow Secretary of State (18 Sep 2001 to 6 Nov 2003)
- Member, European Scrutiny Committee (17 Nov 1998 to 11 Jan 1999)
- Member, Treasury Sub-Committee (14 May 1998 to 15 Jun 1998)
- Member, European Legislation Committee (22 Jul 1997 to 17 Nov 1998)
- Member, Standards and Privileges Committee (23 Oct 1996 to 22 Jun 1998)
- Member, Treasury Committee (15 Nov 1995 to 15 Jun 1998)
- Member, Members' Interests Committee (11 Jul 1995 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, Standards in Public Life Committee (16 Nov 1994 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, Treasury & Civil Service Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, Treasury & Civil Service Sub-Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 8 Nov 1995)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 280 debates in the last year — well above average amongst Lords. See all Lord Davies of Stamford’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 52.96% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 112 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 39 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Davies of Stamford’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 304 times in debates — well above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from