A selection of Lord Cotter's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2011
Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Show votes
7 votes for, 4 votes against, 4 absences, between 2008–2011
Generally voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
6 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2011
Consistently voted against university tuition fees Show votes
0 votes for, 12 votes against, 1 absence, between 1997–2010
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
4 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 1999–2003
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Cotter’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Cotter’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, I raise a point on an area I hope the Government are currently improving. In the past I was the managing director of a small plastic manufacturing company. We were very pleased to get business contracts and strove hard to get the contracts from the Government themselves. Will the Minister therefore look at the Government’s record currently? In the past, the pressure was on small...
My Lords, does the Minister agree that management is the key issue when it comes to small businesses? I left school and went into a company that was run on the lines of “them and us” rather than the co-operative company it is now. It is owned by the employees. Good management is the key issue here.
My Lords, I want to make a general comment to the Government. Coming from a plastic manufacturing background, I was staggered to read in the newspapers that weekend that plastics were used to encase buildings. I say to the Minister: beware of experts. Based on my plastic manufacturing experience, I would have been very concerned by that. Please can the Government check on these experts?
More of Lord Cotter’s recent appearances
Liberal Democrat Peer
Entered the House of Lords on 5 June 2006
Previously MP for Weston-Super-Mare until 11 April 2005 — General election (stood again)
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Also represented Weston-Super-Mare
Other offices held in the past
- Member, EU Internal Market Sub-Committee (23 Jun 2015 to 22 Jul 2015)
- Member, EU Sub Committee B - Internal Market, Infrastructure and Employment (21 May 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Spokesperson for Innovation, Universities and Skills, Spokesperson for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (8 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee G - Social Policies and Consumer Protection (9 Dec 2008 to 16 May 2012)
- Spokesperson in the Lords (Skills), Innovation, Universities and Skills (27 Jul 2007 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Spokesperson in the Lords, Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (6 Jul 2007 to 6 Jul 2007)
- Spokesperson in the Lords (Small Businesses), Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (4 Jul 2007 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Spokesperson in the Lords (Small Businesses), Trade & Industry (10 Jan 2007 to 4 Jul 2007)
- Member, Audit Committee (Lords) (15 Dec 2006 to 8 Apr 2010)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Shadow Minister (Trade & Industry), Trade & Industry (26 Jan 2004 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Shadow Spokesperson (1 Jan 1999 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Business, Innovation and Skills) (1 Jan 1999 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Deregulation Committee (29 Jul 1997 to 11 May 2001)
- Shadow Spokesperson (1 May 1997 to 1 Jan 1999)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Business, Innovation and Skills) (1 Jan 1997 to 1 Jan 1999)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 12 debates in the last year — above average amongst Lords. See all Lord Cotter’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2005, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 70.72% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — well above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- 8 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Cotter’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 67 times in debates — average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from